Hamstick or base loaded 8' whip?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KK4NSF, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good evening all.... I've got a simple question: which is the more efficient, a base loaded 8' whip,or a 7.5' Hamstick? Just for this discussion, the parameters are: 40m use only, mounted on a vehicle, assuming proper bonding to the metal structure.... both tuned to an SWR of 1:1 to 1.5:1.... fed by identical coaxial feed lines, running 100w.... at the same elevation.

It would seem that they should perform about the same, but do they? My experience seems to indicate otherwise.

2. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Neither. Both. Flip a coin. A 1960's JFK half-dollar preferably.

So, what was your experience?

I've only used a hamstick on the roof of a wagon ... mount bolted to the roof rack.

3. KK4NSF

for now, I'm not going to say. I don't want to bias the discussion. ;)

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What does that even mean?

Both antennas would be just about the same in my estimation.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KK4NSF

just that I want opinions based on experience and/or theory.... not biased by my input

6. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

The answer depends on the Q of the base loading coil. Here are some 80m results that indicate a 7 dB advantage for the base loading coil. The difference would probably be about half of that on 40m.

http://www.w5dxp.com/shootout.htm

NL7W, WB5YUZ, W1TRY and 1 other person like this.
  7. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would try loading the JFK half-dollar.
    Then the hamstick.
    Personal preference though.

NH7RO likes this.
  8. KK4NSF

makes sense to me. thanks

9. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have and use both antennas. My base loaded whip I clamp to a wooded fence and run a counterpoise to ground. It tunes up nicely. I have a full array of hamsticks, 75 - 6. They are for ecomm when a hurricane blows through...I have an Outpost tripod I uas to make a ground mounted vertical. I use a cointerpoise on the base as well, and it tunes nicely as well.

The results are identical. I use the whip to operate portable when I don't feel like dragging out the tripod. Both get my into hurricane nets, and both have made some really good contacts, but don't expect a lot of DX from either. For a while I had to use the hamsticks as my main station antenna, and I was still able to reliably talk to my Dad in Fl every morning.

Neither is a great performer, but I'd call it a draw in a comparison. You might want to try testing them both and see how they work for you.

KK4NSF likes this.
  10. KK4NSF

that is the sort of input I'm looking for: real world experience. Thanks.

I'm assuming that is a single counterpoise to ground? I've used a similar set-up for EM-COM, and found they work pretty good. Do you use a tuner? or do you just trim the antenna?

Dave
    KK4NSF