HAMSTICK misery

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WA6MHZ, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess I will hafta crawl under the Town Car and get PHOTO EVIDENCE that there are NO MOUNTING HOLES available to mount a trailer hitch on. I have already been there, looking and there ARE NONE! Had there been ANYTHING I could bolt a plate onto, I would already have done so 7 years ago!

2. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The holes aren't there on my van either, but that doesn't mean I can't put a hitch on it or that using it to tow will ruin the transmission. The holes can easily be drilled in the frame of your TC and it can tow lighter loads without a problem. My guess, without actually having the manual to look at, is that it is probly rated somewhere around 2000-3000 lbs towing capacity.

3. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Pat, there's a better way to mount big screwdriver antennas on your Town Car. I credit the idea from W5BUF from pictures I found of his installation:

[​IMG] . [​IMG] . [​IMG]
    W5BUF's mounting bracket

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have modified his idea for my own use. Everything below is my installation still in progress. I played around with some cardboard and scissors and created a template to do the same at the trunk of my 2003 TC. A good friend who is a welder/pipe-fitter translated that into my antenna mount. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]
    Here it is! It looks like I slammed the trunk on something that didn't get all the way in.

[​IMG]
    Rear View. If you look closely, you can see that the trunk lid is not close completely flush. There is a slight mechanical interference at the very front of the mount. I need to hit the forward inch and a half of the mount with a grinder to take about 1/16th off at that level. That will remove that interference. As is it IS tight against the rubber weatherstripping so the trunk does seal watertight.

[​IMG]
    This view shows the 1/8th thick steel strip at the bottom. It matches the front-to-back curve and the width of the rain trough. Even before being bolted down, it allowed zero movement side-to-side!

[​IMG]
    Side view. We assured that the top plate is absolutely level front-to-back, right-to-left when the car is on a level pad.

[​IMG]
    This shows the IC-7000 and the power distribution panel. Plenty of connectors to add accessories and a remote battery sometime.

[​IMG]
    Cheap and dirty way of getting the coax and control cables out of the trunk.
    There is actually room to mount small waterproof bulkhead connectors for each there, but I didn't have them on hand. I'll add them later.

[​IMG]
    Three-view sketch. I figured the pictures would suffice in place if an isotropic drawing.

My friend Charles wanted to fabricate this of a high-strength stainless steel, but he had run out of that material. That would have been only 1/8th inch thick and would have fit in the gap with plenty of room to spare. Instead it is made of 1/4" steel plate and a 1/8 steel strip along the bottom -- all custom fitted (better than my templates) and welded together. The riser piece and top plate could actually be much smaller using this 1/4" material. We settled on these dimensions while still intending to use the thinner stainless. But so what? I think it's gorgeous.

Strong? As mounted, you'd have to tear off the whole quarter panel to make it budge.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  4. WA6MHZ

That does look IDEAL, providing it doesn't interfere with closing the trunk as it appears to not. I had some 1/8 inch aluminum, but when I bent it, it cracked So not sure how to make it bent to those specifications. I used a harbor freight metal bending/shear machine and in every case, it cracked and broke off. Guess steel would work fine. U should make those in quantity! All of us with Town Cars would love to get those! Will it hold up a Screwdriver antenna?

thanks, Steve!!! 73

5. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Due to a slight misalignment in the bottom weld, the front of the mount is not quite flush with the side of the quarter panel. This results in a minute interference with the trunk lid. Charles wanted to fix that, but I figured he had put enough hours into it already. Right now it closes watertight, but the lid sits a little bit above flush on the left side. Grinding a sixteenth off of the bracket up at that point will eliminate this minor problem.

You need to find the right alloy of aluminum if you choose to bend that top joint. I don't recommend it unless you weld a few fillet beads along the inside of the bend or add gussets to strengthen it. And since you have to engage a welder to do that, you may as well cut individual pieces and weld them together anyway. That makes it much easier to set the surface to level anyway.

The bottom piece is gently curved to match the shape of the water channel hidden by the trunk lid. The side piece must be cut to match that curve and the two are welded.

True, but I wouldn't know if each model is the same and for how many years. That would take serious research before building assembly jigs for such an effort.

Oh yes! We designed the mount to hold my Hi-Q 5-80 and have a significant safety factor. This thing is solid. I even stood upon the top plate and nothing flexed under my 250 lb mass.

Spend ten minutes building a template out of corrugated cardboard and scotch tape, cutting and fitting it precisely to your car. Then the curve and angles for the welds make sense to you.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer to use a fish stick. There is often the chicken stick or veggie stick - but I prefer the fish stick over the hamstick.

7. WA6MHZ

Excellent choice of Vehicle, by the way, Steve! I notice a BIG DIFFERENCE between yours and mine, though they are virtually identical. Yours doesn't have dozens of hats in the back window, a trunk full of plastic bags and debris, nor any BULLET HOLES. So that's how folks can tell them apart!

I see in the paper today Lincoln has OFFICIALLY Discontinued the Town Car, so looks like I need to find a 2011 as my last chance to have the best car ever made.

8. KB3PXR

KB3PXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat, Why not get a JEEP Wrangler, it is a heavy duty vehicle.

9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I picked up a Jetstream 80m hamstick at a hamfest and found it is resonant on 5300Hz instead of 3500hz. :confused:

10. N0WYO

N0WYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess I could be listening for you on 60 meters then?:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.