Hamsphere???

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by K5TBL, Dec 20, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VA3JFW

VA3JFW Ham Member QRZ Page

i have been on hamsphere 4.0 for a while now...i love it..is is very similar to "real radio" the conditions have to be there to make contacts same as real radio..it also has the same program as real radios to check the grey line etc... i have talked to real people around the world including ham operat0rs using their call signs... i have hf rigs that i can [and do] use if i want to.. i have bought different antennas[virtual] that improve my signal just like real radio..also have a rotor to turn these antennas... don`t knock it til you try it....lot of operators cannot put up antennas to get on air...this lets them talk to real amateurs...73...

'

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I see an interesting "quirk" coming as a consequence from Hamsphere, CQ100 and its likes.

If and when the ITU and the national Administrations find out that you can make up "Ersatz-amateur radio" using VoIP, it will not take long until the amateur radio frequency bands, especially VHF and above,
    become history.

Something quite uncanny is that almost 50 years ago, a quite accurate prediction of the "evolution"
    that the telecommunications carriers could take over the functionality of amateur radio was made in the April 1967 issue of CQ Magazine, as an "April Fool article" titled the "Special Subscriber Service, the Telephone Company's Answer to Amateur Radio".

The Internet was unheard of then, so the functionality was supposed to have been realised as random conference calls set up in the international telephone networks.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

HamSphere can certainly help get past "mike fright" and learn some operator skills.

From what I read here, it is also an opportunity to get an idea about antennas, I suppose.

Maybe.

If radio amateurs are there giving their callsigns, it could be an opportunity for a non-radio amateur or a new radio amateur to find help for their new license.

Are there "elmers" on HamSphere for real amateur radio?

M6IGJ likes this.
  4. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh heck yes.

I actually became inspired to get licensed because of Hamsphere- the 3.0 version without all the nifty simulation.

It was a commercial radio engineer (non ham call sign) named Greg and VE3JAR, Vic, who really got me motivated. Greg was a non ham but a lifelong SWL who was very technically competent. Vic used to operate daily on Hamsphere and I used to try and tag him on "all bands".

For a long time Kelly 5B4AIT, the programmer behind Hamsphere, would tally up new licensees in the newsletter. Last one I remember reading had upwards of 50 new ham licenses because of their exposure to Hamsphere.

It's a great system. Though you can sink a good bit of money into it for antennas and transceiver enhancements. I guess that is my only quibble with it is paying for all the add ons. But I've spent my share.

5. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

An HT hooked to a 35 watt Mirage with an indoor Dipole or JPole and you don't need to worry about no HOA garbage.

6. KK4YDR

Now you can forget the internet and play with the big boys down at 38xx mhz! Glad it worked for you but the fastest way to permanently kill amateur radio is to adopt all this internet rubbish voip crap and cease the damand for real radio wave generating, electrically hungry, power devouring, ionosphere pounding sweet smelling RF transceivers.

7. KD8TUT

Some folks just lack perspective.

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never tried it, but there are those who will think you've sold your soul if you ever dare use it.

Yet, there are folks who fly flight simulators on their computer, play with model trains, even video games can be simulations of something real.

So, if it provides enjoyment or a way to do something that otherwise would be impossible, why not?

Steve
    KV6O

9. KK4YDR

Nope.. not at all. Im a Cisco network engineer and I am wrapped around VOIP, Video, etc... I just see where its been and where its going.

10. KD8TUT

A Cisco certification, doesn't exactly make me think you have perspective.

It's not about VOIP it's about simulation. We've been able to simulate antennas and electronic circuits for a long time. But Hamsphere 4 actually simulates a fully operational HF station with propagation based on VOACAP . This is invaluable as a training tool, for getting new folks interested, for older hams who cannot have antennas... ETC- the list could go on for a while.

This isn't VOIP with some static thrown in (as is CQ100 or Hamsphere 3). And uniquely Hampshere 4 allows unlicensed operators- which lets prospective hams get a significant taste of what HF operation is like.

You may consider that to be useless- however I don't.

Oh... and outside of the discussion- Merry Christmas! It's Christmas morning... here's hoping you have a wonderful day!!!

M6IGJ likes this.