Hamsphere???

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by K5TBL, Dec 20, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K5TBL

K5TBL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is the right area of the forum.

Found Hamsphere today and I assume it's like echolink.

Any Hamsphere elmer's here.

Are re you still limited to your class freq's?

it says non-licensed operators are allowed! How can this be?

John

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope, Hamsphere is just another style of internet chat room. You don't need a license because you never transmit anything via radio (unless you use your cellphone or WiFi).
    In short, despite it's name, it isn't ham radio at all.

Have fun
    Gary

3. VE5SPR

VE5SPR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamshere not that bad

Its Voip voice over internet..I tried it for a few weeks til they wanted money. They have different style rigs you can try with simulated variances for each filters etc they even trade each other e qsl cards. It was the only time I got into Europe this year! Hi hi..
    Cheers!
    Dean:D

4. K5TBL

K5TBL Ham Member QRZ Page

So to put it simply its a fake ham radio!

why would one want to ....

Its just a glorified Internet chat room then!

glad I didn't buy into it.

KD5VSH de john

KD8DVR likes this.
  5. VE5SPR

Theres always echolink!

Cheers!73 de VE5SPR

6. VE5SPR

Theres always echolink!

Cheers!73 de VE5SPR

7. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's an article straight from the site:

[TABLE="class: enclosing, width: 900"]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 3"][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="class: headersm, bgcolor: #669933"]Knowledgebase[/TD]
    [TD="width: 3"][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Help Desk > HamSphere 24 Hour Support > Knowledgebase[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    Search documentation:

HamSphere and Real Radio: No Connection

Knowledge Database[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Date:[/TD]
    [TD]2012-06-03 18:18:11[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    HamSphere has no connection to real RF. That is, HamSphere is not a real radio system. There are no transmitters, antennas or anything of that sort involved.

HamSphere is a virtual Amateur Radio environment that exists entirely within the Internet (sometimes called the "cloud.") All HamSphere activity exists within the Internet. There is no output, connection, input or involvement with any real radio.

Because HamSphere exists entirely within the Internet the FCC has no jurisdiction. FCC rules have no bearing on what goes on within HamSphere.

Thus there is no FM, no transmitter, no transmitter power and no FCC regulatory restrictions.

You could say that HamSphere is an Internet chat room that has been created to look, sound, behave and feel like an Amateur Radio transceiver. You have some simple controls (Volume, "Power" and Microphone Level), a bandscope and a DX Cluster. All of these mimic what you would have on a real radio but they are entirely virtual and have no connection to any real radio system.

As a trial user, you have access to many but not all of the features and capabilities of HamSphere. When you subscribe, you will have full access.

If you have any other questions, please reply with them. I would appreciate a quick reply from you acknowledging receipt of this note if you have no other questions.

Frank N. Haas KB4T
    HamSphere Support[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Sounds about as satisfying as eating a 'virtual' prime rib?!:p

73, Vince -- NN5AA

P.S. There's always echolink !

K3XR and KD8DVR like this.
  8. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

its a great way to try hardcore ham radio without getting a license. and by hardcore ham radio i mean the ops there are about as anal about operation as it gets. they get upset if you dont exchange qsl cards. they get upset if you state an opinion. basically, they're an uptight bunch. its fun for a minute or two then someone comes along and gets mad because you didn't id forty times per minute.

a friend and i ran a net there for awhile. it was called Beernet and it was all about beer. it drove the old guys absolutely up-the-wall but we had permission and there wasnt much they could do about it. the nets were fun. by the time we got to the rag chew we were all sloshed.

9. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

If it ain't RF in the air it ain't HAM radio... sorry ... not for me.

KD8DVR likes this.
  10. W2BLC

W2BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

VOIP systems may not be "real" radio, however, they do provide ham radio activities to many ops whom would otherwise be couch potatoes.

CQ100, an excellent VOIP ham radio system provides net activities, QSOs, and picture swapping. Listening to it, there is no difference to the QSO contents than on "real" radio. Except, there is no QRM/QRN, no jamming is possible, and users can share JPG pictures.

VOIP ham radio affords continued contact with the ham radio world for those no longer able to operate a "real" radio: apartment living, condo rules, HOA edicts, physical/medical restraints, age, etc.

CQ100 fills a need for many, allowing them to continue contacting old friends and making new ones - all in the spirit of ham radio.

Those so quick to dismiss VOIP ham radio are not considering their own futures very well. There could be a time coming in their lives when things change and they no longer can have "real" radio. And, they are completely dismissing those using and enjoying VOIP radio.

The ARRL has missed a great chance to retain memberships (and dues) from thousands of hams that have left the airways. They should have encouraged them to become active with VOIP and continued their ARRL membership.

If it sounds like ham radio, and it looks like ham radio, and it provides enjoyment like ham radio - then it must be ham radio! I look at CQ100 as just another mode that I operate - like SSB , AM, etc. I operate CQ100 and HF - enjoying many friends on both.

Bill W2BLC

M6IGJ likes this.