HAMSEXY FORUM IS DANGEROUS

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB9YCO, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen doesn't get paid for any of this. And I for one am sure glad it's him that moderates here, cause we could have someone a lot more intolerant. I would have already been tossed out on my ear.

2. VE3HBD

VE3HBD QRZ Member

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k6bbc @ June 11 2004,11:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Glen, with all due respect, I believe you are incorrect in your comparison of qrz.com to ones living room.  The Internet is a public forum.  If you want to moderate, or control, or censor the content, make the site members only and password protected.  Otherwise, celebrate the FREE exchange of ideas and take the good with the bad.  

So lets face the facts.  On air ham radio is becoming a heaven for older, tired hams.  Most conversations on the air are mind-numbing boredom.  The hobby needs an influx on new, interesting, and even controversial ideas, though, and speech.  Qrz provides that.  So relax and be proud of the service you provide to so many.

And keep that finger off the delete key.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, I agree with Glen totally.

QRZ dot com, as well as any other internet message forum, is not a naturally occuring phenomenom. It is not a field or a body of water. Someone's heart, sweat and money went into making it happen. Someone pays money for it's storage on a server somewhere. Someone pays for the bandwidth used to access the site. The owner and the moderators assigned by him has every right to do whatever he wants with the site, to erase, lock and regulate the discussions as they see fit.

People never understand.... message forums are NEVER democracies. Democracy cannot work on such forums, strict rules and regulations are needed to maintain order. People who don't accept this are either troublemakers or have never had the pleasure/curse of moderating a message board.

Kudos to the QRZ staff - they are doing a fine job.

3. KA3RFE

KA3RFE QRZ Member QRZ Page

BBC:

Your slant that the internet is a &quot;public forum&quot; and thererfore free and unfettered speech is required by whatever you're considering a requirement is for the birds!

This is a common misbelief that freedom of speech is applicable here. Freedom of speech isn't a blanket thing. It refers only to governmental control.

Message boards on the internet are not governed by the Consitution. They are PRIVATE property and what is determed to be allowed is solely with the owners of the various and sundry sites.

If you are unhappy with the way this site is run, feel free to leave and start your own message board.

Pete KA3RFE

4. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] it is nice to read one post making a great statement...it is another to read several posts nearly all saying the SAME THING for a good half of a page.....is originality DEAD ?

If you aint got no idea what the I am talking about, scroll UP from this message here back to the top of this one page...then you ( and all the other 100,000 folks ) can SEE for thieselves exactly what is the point.

( duh ) [​IMG]

5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

BBC:

You are entitled to your opinion, and I will defend your right to express your opinion on QRZ.com so long as your post does not violate the &quot;rules of the road&quot; no matter if I agree with it or not!

However, although I do my best not to convey a &quot;heavy hand&quot; on things, I will &quot;step in&quot; if necessary as a moderator. But, when I am participating as a &quot;regular&quot; person, I am just as open to being disagreed with, supported, ignored, or whatever! Those who have been using this site for a while know my limits and do their best not to exceed those limits.

Once-in-a-while someone crosses the line and I have to put on my moderator hat and come down on that person. I definitely do not enjoy chastising anyone. But, a few people like to test my limits occasionally and I do have to &quot;rap their knuckles&quot;. Usually that is all that is required and everything returns to &quot;normal&quot; for a while. However, very occasionally I run into someone who just cannot avoid causing problems repeatedly. It doesn't take long to identify such a person and, unfortunately, often the only thing that works to permanently ban that person.

I do not like to recommend banning, but, in certain cases, that is the only recourse. Warnings, etc., do not work with certain people. In those cases the word &quot;banned&quot; appears after what they have already posted and that particular person cannot post anything else to QRZ.com. They can still read what is posted, but they are banned from posting themselves.

You, and everyone else, are most certainly welcome to participate in the various forums on the QRZ.com website. Your ideas, thoughts, feelings, and whatever, if they can be put into the written word, are most welcome as additions to the threads on this site. They are welcome until they violate the rules of the road

No profanity

No obscenities

No personal attacks

If they start violating those rules, then your presence will no longer be welcome on the site. But, if you play by the rules, you will not have any problems with me! As for your individual ideas being accepted, that is a truly different matter for I have found that there is always someone who posts on the site that will disagree with whatever is written! In fact, I know that I can say that a sheet of white bond paper is white and someone will insist that it is a shade of very light gray!

As such, it does take a pretty &quot;thick&quot; skin to participate in the Talk &amp; Opinions forum. In this forum I do allow things to get into the realm of the &quot;PG&quot; rating (although much more towards the &quot;G&quot; end rather than the &quot;R&quot; end) whereas the remainder of the forums on QRZ.com are purposely kept in the &quot;G&quot; range. Getting into the hard &quot;R&quot;, &quot;X&quot;, or &quot;NC-17&quot; ratings means a very short trip to becoming banned!

If you have to think if something should worded a certain way will not meet the criteria of this site, then use your head and don't use that wording! Why take a chance when it is very easy to reword something and eliminate those words that may be problematic. Also, when you are upset about something, write your response but don't upload it. Come back in a little while after you have calmed down. Then rewrite your response so that you don't offend or attack someone but still get your point accross. By doing this you may disagree with someone, but you will not lose their respect!

In fact, although I certainly want people to like me, I would much rather have their respect and them either not like me or disagree with me. If people respect me and like me and agree with me, then all the better. But, respect means a lot more in the long run than just being liked!

Glen, K9STH

6. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Word from the Roman Empire is that feedback from the Lion's say's that Christians do have good taste!! [​IMG]

7. N0PU

N0PU Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ June 11 2004,15:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Word from the Roman Empire is that feedback from the Lion's say's that Christians do have good taste!! [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    UEY:

Ya got it wrong again!
    The word was '... Christians taste good!'

Trouble with the facts again, huh?
    hehehehehe

8. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

NØPU,
    To quote the countries Greatest President,
    &quot; There you go again,twisting my words around &quot;
                                 Ronald W. Reagan-President

Hope alls well Harry, BTW have you ever considered putting your electronics course on a CD ?? Maybe in a word processer format so that it could be printed if wanted. Often it is far more practical to have the printed page as opposed to reading it from a monitor. I personally prefer the printed page,and often make the trip down to &quot;KINKO'S&quot; to have some thing printed and bound.One of my pet peeves about new software,they are too cheap to give you a manual to read,they instead have it online which usually contains less than 10% of what was available in printed form, provided you can figure out where it is hidden, but that's another story.....HIHI
    Take care my friend,don't let the conspiracies run up your blood pressure.....   73,   ORV

9. N0PU

N0PU Guest

Hey Orv:

You are my favorite person to disagree with...hehehe

On the course CD, I have had several requests and I have copied all the pdf files to a CD for people and I charge them $9.95 postage included to the 50 states... and I ship it by priority mail...

The pdf files can be printed if they like... Hard copy would be very expensive since I can't do 1000 copies at a time... and ya have binding expenses and all... I'm not sure I could compete...

Thanks for the comment tho...

Here's a quote for ya...

&quot;Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is.&quot;
    Barbara Bush (Former US First Lady)

and some think Barbara has no sense of humor!

10. WF7I

WF7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen, you do a great job on here. Don't let the negative feedback get to you. Without moderation no internet forum survives. Just take a look at USENET for an example. Total and complete anarchy reigns. You try to put in a serious post in there and all you get are flames, put downs, threats, ridicule, etc. Full of trolls and people with too much time on their hands!

I visited &quot;hamsexy&quot; very briefly, but I prefer QRZ.com any day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.