Hams: Wives/Husbands/Significant Others

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY5U, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

USE:

Not really possible! Most of the clocks keep very accurate time. However, there are a few clocks, that utilize a real pendulum as the time standard, that do creep around. That is because of both temperature and humidity. When there is much of a change in either, this affects the weight of the pendulum ever so slightly as well as the length of the pendulum arm. The short term effect cannot be detected. But, over time, these changes add, or subtract, and, gradually, the clock can either gain, or lose, time.

There are occasions where one of these pendulum clocks maintains accuracy for weeks, even a couple of months. Then, there is a major change in, especially humidity, and the accuracy suffers.

Glen, K9STH

2. KC3GSV

KC3GSV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My xyl has not much interest in amateur radio, but enjoys seeing the qsl cards. However, she like the fact that since I retired I can go to the shack and not be "under her feet". I did get a bonus when I married her that has been useful on occasion. She spent years building pc boards and soldering, so if I run into something tricky or not sure of what I should do, she can figure out how to do it.

KY5U likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The dreaded call: A couple times lightning knocked us (AM station) off thee air and we had to go to the transmitter to restore. During this time another engineer was on his way when a lady called the station and said, "Hey are ya'll off the air or just weaker than normal?" Hoooooo000000!

4. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

She complained about the time and money I spent on my radios. I sure do miss her. But I got a cat. She loves my nice warm radios and rarely complains.

KY5U, W7ROX and AC8UN like this.
  5. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh yes...even those who should know better fall victim: At Turner Teleport (CNN, WTBS, et al) when an HPA would go down on the overnight shift when just a couple guys were there, we'd be scrambling to get 'er back on with an alternate HPA. That may involve retuning the HPA, changing, or worse swinging another dish around, peaking cross-poling, etc. Could be a lot of things to do. Half way through our "change your shorts" exercise the private line starts ringing...and ringing...and ringing. Finally, out of exasperation you answer it...who is it? Usually the chief wanting to know what's going on because he got a call from the Dir. of Engineering...blah blah blah. He asks stupid question number 1, "How long will it take to fix it?". Our desired, but rarely if ever used answer: About "X" minutes PLUS the time I have to answer stupid questions on the phone! Ahhh, the good old days! Boy oh boy am I glad to be out of that mess!
    Edit: Then there was the second most desirable answer upon answering the phone, "Hello. Dominoe's. Please hold"...and abruptly placing the line on hold and hanging the phone back in the cradle...LOL

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    KY5U likes this.
  6. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have exactly the same set up. She gets a new diamond ring, I get a new piece of ham gear. Been working for over 30 years.

KY5U likes this.
  7. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife is moderately interested in the ham radio. She - so far - hasn't been convinced to get a license herself. The only times we really need to use it we are doing something boat or airplane related, so she can talk on the boat or airplane radio without taking a test so it looks like busywork to her. She is happy to have radios on the *boat*, but very wary of any kind of wires messing up the house. A home shack would have to be mostly out of the way in the office.
    If I started spending all weekend on a contest playing radio instead of husband-tasks the radio would soon be a fish habitat :rolleyes:

KY5U likes this.
  8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I was done with BC Engineering when I married my second current wife, or as I like to tell her, my future ex-wife. But I was working for a Motorola company that installed and maintained the 911 system for Jefferson Parish (next to New Orleans). I had gone to NAS Belle Chasse on a Saturday to play in a golf tournament and returned home about 3pM. My wife said the company owner was looking for me.

I called him and he was personally at the 911 center with the on call tech and the center was down (consoles) hard. Could I get over there ASAP. I live 5 minutes away and when I got there I saw no power to the consoles as I walked past on my way to the room with the electronics racks. I went directly to the power supply rack and measured the 12V. None. All the while the tech and the owner were asking "Don't you want to know what we did?" To which I answered, "No thanks".

Power was supplied by a dozen parallel power supplies. I unplugged them all (AC and 13.6V out), then started plugging them in and powering them up one at a time. I got to the 7th one and it loaded the power buss down. I skipped it and the rest were fine. By this time they had been back up and were happy.

Time from building entry to back up was about 5 minutes. The owner told the tech to remove the bad supply and carry to the shop.

My wife was with me and saw the whole thing. So she understands why I would later enjoy AR so much.

W7ROX likes this.
  9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Cat says, "If not for sits, why is it made of warm?"

10. W7ROX

W7ROX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill and I are both Extras. No problems here! Ham radio is a priority for both of us!