ad: GNOHF-1

Hams: Wives/Husbands/Significant Others

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY5U, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife has no problem with my Amateur Radio exploits, be they Hamvention trips, new radio purchases, or even new towers and antennas. Soon after we married she got interested in radio too and secretly studied and tested for her Novice, earning WB4YPD in around 1975. It was a total surprise to me! She later sat before the FCC for her upgraded to Technician, and later moved up to a General which she still holds. She's no longer active at it, her interests moved to other things over the decades, but even after 43 years she still is completely supportive of Amateur Radio and my activities in hobby.

Faye WB4YPD at a club Field Day around 1980
    Faye FD 1980.jpg

W5TTP, N2NH and KY5U like this.
  2. F4WBW

F4WBW Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent nearly 20 years as a sort of "ham camp follower" because I really enjoyed the ham shows and activities even without having my license. Heard enough about Dayton that I took my husband to Dayton one year (and fit in side trips to visit my family and my alma mater while we were in the hemisphere). Then we started going to Friedrichshafen - not always, but every few years - and I had all sorts of fun there. (Helps that I speak German reasonably well - which was sort of the reason DH had be reluctant to go on his own.) One time, when the weather interfered with my usual run to the pedestrian shopping area in Friedrichshafen, I attended the YL meeting instead - and met the most fascinating group of women I think I've ever run into. Wound up getting my license (thanks to the US license testing and CEPT reciprocity) and now we can "share" all DH's equipment and jostle for time in the shack. (Haven't been on the air much in recent months due to "Life" and other responsibilities, but the option is always there and I certainly enjoy trying out all his latest equipment.)

N2NH likes this.
  3. N2NH

N2NH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My girl saw my radios and was immediately interested. She already knew her way around a soldering iron so her curiosity got the better of her. I (among others) elmered her and she got her Tech in 2006 and as a gift, she got the HT she wanted. I think I've given her the incentive to go for the General later this year.

4. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

STH & 5U: Yes, I recall pager tone IMD! I lived/worked in ATL (Kennesaw) many years (CNN among others) and know what you're talking about. Here's a TRUE story that STH will appreciate. It actually happened 3 or 4 times.
    Working at WDBO, channel 6, (then) in Orlando in the 70s it wasn't uncommon for an afternoon thunderstorm to knock us off for a few minutes due to utility power going down. We had an emergency generator but it was manual start/transfer. The whole thing took maybe 2 minutes to respond and get 'er going and back on the air.
    Several times we would have this sweet little old lady call the engineering dept and politely complain about the fact that we should "put up a slide that says we're off the air. Channel 9 does it."
    How could you get mad?

5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

MU:

It was not the pager intermod that "got to me". In 1966 there were no synthesized tone generators, all of the units actually used reeds. However, it was not feasible to use reed type generators because of all of the tones involved in servicing the number of pagers that came in for repair every day.

Instead, we used HP-200J audio frequency generators (these had expanded low frequency calibration) and, at first, frequency counters that had neon bulb readouts. These counters had decade steps in which a neon bulb would start flashing as the kHz, then 100 Hz, then 10 Hz, and finally the 1 Hz point was reached. Since there was a 0.1 second delay between tones, there was a manual switch, with a center off, to switch between the 2-tones. The time it took to go between the audio oscillator outputs was close enough to 0.1 seconds that this system worked very well.

After several months, I finally got a Systron-Donner, Motorola branded, frequency counter that covered 0 Hz to 50 MHz, then had heterodyne units for 125 MHz to 175 MHz and 450 MHz to 500 MHz. That counter made things a LOT easier! However, no matter what counter was used, the tones were still audible and one soon got very tired of hearing them!

As for my wife and amateur radio: When we first got married, I had the Heath Cheyenne / Comanche (MT-1 / MR-1) mobile units mounted in a 1961 Ford Falcon. Of course, those took up almost 1/3rd of the leg-room in the front seat. That was my junior year in college when I was working for the Motorola Service Station in Atlanta. My senior year was when Motorola hired me directly to establish, and then manage, the pager / portable repair facility. After going to work directly for Motorola, I was able to obtain 2-each T43GGV-1130A high band FM mobile units (1 for my car which I got after going to work for Motorola and 1 for her car, the Ford Falcon) that I put on 2-meters. She was very happy with the "little bitty" control head of the T43GGV and not the Heath mobile units!

Although she has never been interested in amateur radio, she also insists on having at least a 2-meter FM unit in our vehicles "just in case" something happens. She wants them there even today even though we have a cellular telephone. Sometimes, when we go on vacation and drive instead of fly, I put a 10-meter mobile in as well as the 2-meter. She occasionally gets interested in the conversations that I have on either radio. Otherwise, she just ignores things.

Glen, K9STH

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife and I have both had numerous hobbies and activities which we pursued both as individuals and as couples. We've been to lots of places and acquired lots of stuff in these pursuits. One of our shared major pursuits was tennis. We both played competitively as well as followed the professional tournaments. We both also acquired trophy cabinets from league competitions as well as local tournaments. We even took tennis vacations to tennis resorts with other tennis players from local clubs. Then at about 55 my tennis days were impacted by bad knees and shoulder. Doctor informed me that playing as often as I did I would become a candidate for a double knee replacement in less than a year. So I cut way back on my tennis but still supported my wife's playing and still travelled to tournaments and matches with my wife. My wife was still going strong until she hit 65....after two wrist surgeries her tennis game faltered also. My shoulder and knee injuries started to impact my other activities...motorcycling and competitive shooting. I needed to find a less demanding hobby. At my 50th HS reunion an old HS buddy got me to reconsider getting back into amateur radio after a 20 year hiatus. My wife always thought ham radio was strange but never complained...of course I never made it a hermit hobby that I disappeared into for long lengths of time.
    So we still pursue separate and shared activity and she never has been negative about ham radio (other than objecting to one of my experimental stealth antennas in the back yard!). We are on our 51st year of marriage and still having fun.

W0VRA likes this.
  7. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

how do you keep them synchronised?

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

After years of an inside ham shack, I will be moving in my new smaller house to an out building. I told my lovely bride to be prepared to be alone a lot or come in the shack.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't let Burt hear you say that

WC5P likes this.
  10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife has no problem with me and radio, fishing, hunting, or watching football. I don't cat around, be abusive towards her or make demands of her. I provided for my family.
    My last home had all sorts of antennas and I had a stand alone shack.
    Our new home I gave her free reign to pick features, paint, floor plan.
    We're fine.