Hams: Wives/Husbands/Significant Others

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY5U, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife has been very supportive. While she isn't much for sitting through the monthly club meeting, she enjoys going to the additional hamfest, though she's never had any interest in getting her ticket. Gear has never been a problem. In recent years, which includes the time I've been married to her, I've generally stuck to one modern transceiver and a backup, and while I can afford to, I don't buy much stuff over the course of a year. Nor do I accumulate boat anchors I'll restore "someday" like I used to. If someone wants a new rig every year or two, more power to them. I seem to have more fun just getting as much as I can out of what I have. :)

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HLC:

No "nixie" clocks! She definitely likes the clocks that chime but she also has a number of "novelty" clocks like Mickey Mouse, theme shaped, and so forth.

Her favorite clock is a grandfather clock that is over 6-feet tall. She got that clock, years ago, from the Georgia Tech Alumni Association. It has the Georgia Tech logo on the pendulum weight. Georgia Tech is my alma matter but she does have an honorary degree from that college. In fact, she keeps up with things on campus and has a lot more Georgia Tech things (i.e. blankets, mouse pad, etc.) than do I.

Glen, K9STH

W0VRA likes this.
  3. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am glad to see that there are so many supportive partners out there. Cherish them.

AF7XT, W0VRA and WZ7U like this.
  4. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife has said I can put the tower anywhere on the 40 acres that I hope to live on someday, as long as she can't see it from the house or driveway.

She's also authorized me to build a cabin in close vicinity to the tower, if it keeps the radios out of the house.

5. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

K9STH: Thanks for clarification! Yes, I know about hearing the wrong thing...
    I don't know whether or not you have any experience with television broadcasting but back in the days on the 2" wide video tape machines (transverse scan) there is/was a spinning quad video head that went about 15K RPM (hence the name "quad machine")...it was driven by air. I could be in the next room..."hearing" the head spinning but could easily pick out the slightest variation...before you'd see it on the screen. Weird, huh? Now I'm paying for all the VTR noise and having to wear hearing aids. I couldn't even think of hearing anything near 15K anymore! LOL

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MU:

The closest that I ever got to broadcasting was in high school. The Air Explorer Squadron, of which I was a member, had a weekly show, every Saturday morning, on WLOI, LaPorte, Indiana, a 250-watt "blooper" station! I believe that the station is still running 250-watts!

My senior year in college, I established, and then managed, the very first Motorola owned portable / pager repair facility away from the main Schamburg, Illinois, plant (in Forest Park, Georgia, a suburb on the south side of Atlanta). I heard so many 2-tone sequential paging tones that I absolutely refused to carry a pager until years later when I was forced to carry one as part of an emergency response team, for telecommunications, when I worked for TXU.

For a number of years, one of my companies maintained the paging system for several major hospitals here in the Dallas, Texas, area. One of the coordinators wanted me to carry a pager on the hospital's system. I asked her why and she responded so that they could get a-hold of me when the paging system went down. I repeated the question several times before she realized that when the system was down they couldn't page me! She then offered me free use of one of their pagers but I refused. Over 50-years later, I still do not like paging tones!

Glen, K9STH

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was a ham before I was married to any of my wives (3 and counting).

First one I knew from college and she knew darned well I was a ham, and used to call me on the phone at work sometimes to ask, "Is this WB2WIK? This is your wife..." and stuff like that.

But XYL #2 and #3 all knew all about it. I'm still married to #3 and when we first bought a house together her first question (no kidding) was, "Where will you put your antenna tower?" She was mostly interested because she wanted to plant flowers at the base, and maybe some climbing vines.

I said okay to flowers, no to climbing vines as I do need to sometimes climb it and don't want stuff in the way.

My kids all grew up with it and all know my callsign but none were interested enough to get licensed. That's fine with me. You have to really like "wireless" to be a ham.

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I did a brief stint as a cameraman for our NBC affiliate because I worked for their co-located AM/FM station, I was already a union member, I did it in college, and the normal guy had his appendix burst.

I did radio for a few years but my 1st wife was very uncomfortable with my limited celebrity. Although I "knew" a few famous people and actually friends with a couple, she wanted no part of it. I was past those years when I married this wife. I am just as glad.

9. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

No XYL, no static at all.

W5TTP, W4POT and AC8UN like this.
  10. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

FM!