Hams: Wives/Husbands/Significant Others

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY5U, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife knew that I was into the hobby long before she met me. I share her bicycling, sewing, cooking, knitting, pet, and other interests. Let's just say that I support her in these and go along on her many ventures into insolvency. I have relocated, sometimes cross country, 6 times. Millions can live in the CA wine country, the FL panhandle, or the Republic of Texas, but somehow, her desire for the perfect location cannot be met. I steer clear of any discussion of " Damn ham radio".

2. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

easily explained ...
    She is an Extra class licensee and among other things thinks things like GSB-100, HW-101, SX-42, HQ-170 (anyone got a clock?) are cool . All are presently in her/our collection.
    She is as comfortable with a soldering iron or a wrench in her hand.
    I however do not knit or crochet .
    We've known each other for years and been together just long enough to wonder what took us so long.

Sometimes she even lets me use her radios ..... ;)

N2EY, WZ7U and KK5JY like this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to admit, that's a very cool hobby. One can never have too many clocks. :) Or flashlights...
    This part is probably less cool, at least for you. ;)

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

When I married, the wife understood that I had a tech job and was a hambone. She became a real fan of the radio part when my IC-2SAT (running on the metro police channels) alerted us to an armed robbery in progress at a store we were to visit - we had just pulled into the parking lot.... Prior to that, the radios were toys to be tolerated.

I ran the MARS station, off duty/at night from my little outpost in the RoK - for a year were were able to converse almost nightly thanks to 'ham radio' .

As I suspect is the case for most marriages, we ignore that others 'hobbies' for the most part. Any significant purchases are discussed before the spending...

I have to say, it doesn't hurt that she collects old Hallicraters desktop radios.

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife had an HRO salesman drop off a big box with a new IC-7600 at my table at SEAPAC a few years ago.
    I ended up paying for it but who cares!!
    I have known her since 1972 when we dated for a while back then.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't that mean you absolutely never know what time it is?

7. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine got her own ticket without any arm twisting from me. In face she took it on her own to go all the way to extra class (five written exams, three code exams). . . anything she puts her mind to she conquers. That's why she has me.

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Although my wife supports AR, she has no interest in it.She has gone to out of town hamfests where I go early and let her sleep. I pick her up at check-out time. We have a few meals together on the road as we travel which she enjoys especially in areas with Louisiana food.

We travel a lot seeing grandchildren, and I use my iPhone as a remote in the hotel at night to my shack rig at home . She has no issues with it. Our kids live is three separate cities so when we visit, we let the kids share the homes of each other and we camp out in a Motel.

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MU:

Not all her clocks chime. However, we really do not even "hear" most of the clocks since we are so used to hearing them. It is when one of the clocks doesn't chime, for some reason, that we actually notice it!

WIK:

We just take the "average" of the clocks! Actually, she has 2-each of the clocks that are sync'd with WWVB, one of those is in the den and the other in the master bedroom. We just look at one of those clocks assuming that the Bureau of Standards is still accurate!

I had been licensed for 6-years when I got married. As such, my wife knew what she was "getting into"!

Glen, K9STH

10. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Any Nixie clocks?