Hams: Wives/Husbands/Significant Others

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY5U, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

My Story

This thread would be to talk about your husband, wife, significant other and their reaction to ham radio. My old hobby until I was 45 was firefighting, then fire support for another 10 years driving the fire engines, doing auto extrication, medical calls, and still the odd fire.

My wife has been scared of the risks I have assumed over the years, so when I had shoulder surgery (X2) she was happy I retired. At a rehab session I found a QST in the waiting area and rekindled the desire for a new hobby, amateur radio. My wife was so happy I wouldn't be running to emergency calls she accepted ham radio gladly.

I am a stingy SOB so my rig purchases were talked about and discounted by my own cheapness. My wife pushed me to buy a new rig every 2-3 years as a "reward" for not spending a dime on myself but all for her and the kids. At the new house, I wanted an outbuilding not necessarily finished. She pushed for something nicer, and finished out on the inside. I wanted a folding table for my desk, she pushed for a nice wood finished table. You get the picture.

The Question

I am curious the relationship other hams have with their wives when it comes to amateur radio. I read Dr. Kristen Haring's book "Ham Radio's Technical Culture" which outlines how spouses are often pushed aside in favor of the hobby. So what's your story?

N5DMC likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

My story is relatively simple all things considered. She gets to do what she wants and so do I. Where our interests intersect we play together. I'm free to do what I want in ham radio as long as it's not fiduciarally irresponsible, which means no big purchases without discussing it first. Which is fine since she made the last big ham radio purchase way back in the 20th century; a surprise new Icom 706llg. So, I think we're all good.

I'm sure I'm in some sort of minority here but that's nothing new.

K1TGX, US7IGN and KK5JY like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a minority. As you and your wife, we each have our own interests and hobbies and each pursue them within reason. Financially, we've always had a system where we each get equal "allowances" for personal use, not subject to veto by the other, separate from our joint/household finances. Has worked out well for both for 22 years so far.

I think nearly all hams get along well with their wives, and would not let a hobby damage their relationship.

4. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife and I are exactly the same. We both have hobby rooms, mine is filled with electronics and radio things and hers is filled with sewing, craft and all sort of other things i have no idea about. And never the 2 shall meet. However, we do take an interest in what each other is doing and we are mutually supportive. She has no interest in radio and I am fine with that. As long as the bills are all paid and things are not put on credit cards we are both free to do whatever we want. A few weeks ago she went out and bought 2 grands worth of embroidery machine, paying cash after saving up for a few weeks. More power to her.

The wife and I work pretty similar, we both work, so we split the bills and after that whats left we individually do what we want and if she wants more money, she can have mine. I am a saver not a spender, so it don't bother me if she attacks my spending account if she needs it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    KY5U likes this.
  5. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Was married to a "non-flying" wife once. This one has 1100+hours...

N5DMC and N1WTT like this.
  6. W9BFZ

W9BFZ QRZ Member QRZ Page

I'm sort of a shut in due to some health issues. My SO loves that I'm getting involved with amateur radio since it gets me interacting with more people. Financially, we have a set amount under which a purchase is "fair game" as long as bills are paid. Over that amount and a discussion must be had. As long as that agreement is honored, she doesn't mind my radio stuff.

And after listening to me talking to some of the local guys, she's talking about getting her technician license.

KY5U likes this.
  7. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

This has been posted numerous times here on QRZ.com as well as in other places: My wife collects clocks (among other things) and, right now, there are 54-clocks in this house. When Daylight Saving Time starts, and stops, I get to change the time on all but the clock on the nightstand in the master bedroom. In exchange for this, she doesn't complain about my amateur radio operation, my antique / vintage radio collection, my Civil War living history "stuff" (including uniforms, flags, and weapons), my model / miniature aircraft collection, my library (well over 1500 volumes primarily electronics, amateur radio, Civil War, World War II), and a few other things.

In June, we will have been married for 53-years! Our children can NEVER say that they never heard their parents argue! However, after all those years, one knows when to get into an argument and when to just let things "fly"!

Glen, K9STH

N5DMC, KC1NY and KY5U like this.
  8. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wife is KC9SGM and she's the one who talked me into getting my license.

N2NH and KY5U like this.
  9. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Your place must be sheer Hell at noon and midnight! All I can think of is Back to the Future!

10. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as I don't take any time or money from what's important I'm ok with this hobby. My wife is amused.

KK5JY likes this.