HAMS SUPPORTING BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA......

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WD0BC, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Only rookie Scout leaders eat with the youth. In my 30+ years, I have never once made that mistake. Someone has to survive the camp out to tell the stories.

The very best part of scouting to me, is when you see the "light" come on in a kids eyes, that very moment they realize the CAN do it. Be it passing the swim test, shooting a bulls eye, building a usable camp fire, cooking a meal, leading a hike, navigating a stream in a canoe or kayak....or leading their fellow scouts.

N5PAR, K3UJ and KP4SX like this.
  2. WD8ED

WD8ED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My scouting experience started from the bottom. Cub scouts thru about half way to Eagle Scout. I had the same scoutmasters the entire time. A collection of form junior enlisted Army Vietnam Vets. Guess how it was run? Like junior enlisted Army soldiers would run it. As if the inmates were running the asylum disguised as structure. The head scoutmaster never had children and lacked experience with boys.

Eventually the verbal abuse combined with the verbal and physical abuse at home combined proved to be enough for me. It wasn’t the discipline. It was personally directed abuse and favoritisms.

At 17 I quit and joined the U.S. Marines! At least they were trained professionals. I loved it and stayed for 13 years.

I never looked back at the BSA. I certainly hope there is now some form of screening, training and certification processes for all of the adults involved.

Just my experience.

W4HM likes this.
  3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have taught the Radio merit badge class for Scouts before. It was fun but didn't have a hands-on component like it should have.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Some members of my club are involved in Scouting, and are discussing (with some local troop leaders)) us teaching a Radio Merit Badge class for those interested.

While “hands on” may not be required for the badge, we’re going to include that as part of the proposed class anyway.

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are going to be a merit badge counselor...you need to take the Youth Protection Training, and you really should take the online Merit Badge Counselor training. Also know that you are not allowed to add or remove any requirements for the badge in question. I sometimes teach Electricity and Radio badges at the same time....Electricity has some actual hands on circuit building.

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Who said anything about changing the requirements? We would teach everything required, we would simply teach a few more things (and just for general knowledge, not for testing purposes)

I don’t know yet who will be the official Merit Badge Counselor, or who will be the “assistants” lending a hand. We will burn down that bridge after we cross it.

7. WD0BC

WD0BC Ham Member QRZ Page

VISION PROBLEMS

8. WD0BC

WD0BC Ham Member QRZ Page

RE MY PART IN RADIO MERIT BADGE.....

THE RADIO MERIT BADGE COUNCILOR OF RECORD IS A PAID STAFF MEMBER. HAS THE CLASS FOR THE FIRST TWO SESSIONS AND DOES THE 'GROUND SCHOOL' ON THE MERIT BADGE , PROPAGATION, FREQUENCIES AND SO ON... .....

MY INVOLVEMENT SIMPLY COMPLETES ONE OF THE ELECTIVE REQUIREMENTS... A TEN MINUTE QSO ON AIR. WE HAVE THREE SESSIONS WITH THE SCOUTS AND THIS ALLOWS THEM TO BE INTRODUCED TO HAM RADIO.

AFTER INTRODUCTIONS AND SOME CHATTING ABOUT MY CAMPING HISTORY (I STARTED AT THE SAME CAMP IN 1959) I TELL THEM ABOUT HAM RADIO.....I FIND THAT SOME SCOUTS THINK 'RADIO IS DEAD....THEY SOON LEARN OTHERWISE.....THEN........

I START THE GROUP ON CW WITH THE DONATED MFJ SOUNDERS........WE .USE THE E,I,S,H,5 AND T,M,O,0 GROUPS .....IN JUST A SHORT TIME THEY LEARN THAT THIS IS DOABLE AND FUN...THIS "HOOKS" THE SCOUTS..........

DEPENDING ON THE NUMBERS OF SCOUTS WE PUT SCOUTS "ON THE AIR".... HF IF OPEN AND UHF/ VHF FOR THEIR QSO'S. THE CW SOUNDERS KEEPS THE SCOUTS WHO ARE NOT ON THE RADIO OCCUPIED.......AFTER SEVERAL YEARS WE HAVE LEARNED THAT THE CW OCCUPIES THOSE NOT ON AIR WHO OTHERWISE WOULD BE DRIFTING IF YOU GET MY MEANING.........

I HAVE ENJOYED THIS FOR ABOUT 7 YEARS NOW AND AS LONG AS I AM 'GREEN SIDE UP' I HOPE TO CONTINUE......BLESSINGS TO ALL FOR THE COMMENTS AND SUPPORT........WD0BC

PS .....PHOTO OF JUST HOW FAR SOME FOLKS WILL GO TO KEEP BOYS IN SCOUTING.....OUR "TRIBE OF MIC-O-SAY" INDIAN GROUP AND MY COSTUME.......WE HAVE A VERY LARGE RETURN TO SCOUTING BECAUSE OF THIS HONOR CAMPING SOCIETY.........I CAN'T BELIEVE SOMEONE WOULD QUESTION MY MENTAL CONDITION ??????

Attached Files:

9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CAN'T SEE RTTY WHEN IT'S STARING YOU IN THE FACE???? :D

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

10. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HHHhhhmmmmmm....