ad: Alphaant-1

HAMS SUPPORTING BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA......

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WD0BC, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Growing up in the 70's , They were not there for me and the other kids in my neighborhood. Abandoning us without notice only a few months after forming a troop. I am not there for them now as an Adult...
    Ymmv

3. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Being a scout leader, a good one at least, is a time consuming position. I would imagine they didn’t know what they were getting into. Too bad you had such bad luck.

I did it for about 10 years back in the 90s and early 2000s. As my Son moved from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts I moved with him. We had a lot of fun. Near the end when my Son was in high school the over done political correctness started to be a nuisance. Last year my Church, one of scoutings biggest supporters, severed it ties with BSA. Sad to see.

4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Your story sounds like mine. I will never forget the fun that I had with my son during Cub Scouts and the memories that were made but as things progressed, things got worse and eventually the church no longer supported the Troop.

N5PAR likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

I wouldn't call it "Bad Luck"
    More like lack of Commitment at the Local/State/National level...

Now if we had been more like a troop Beverly Hills type neighborhood instead of being on the lower end of the economic scale...
    Ymmv

N5PAR likes this.
  6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KB9BVN

More like lack of commitment of the parents, and the local chartering organization. Scouting can't exist without both.

N5PAR likes this.
  8. KD8DEY

The Parents were supportive, and they disappeared not long after we were measured for our first uniforms since the troop was just starting out.

They would meet at the meeting/bingo hall of the local Catholic church,
    ironically located @ St Michaels & Church streets in lower price hill..
    That would be who? The Dan Beard Council??!!

9. KB9BVN

Dan Beard is a big council....perhaps the chartering organization decided not to.

The council looks for charter organizations, then they assist the CO in starting scouting units (Cubs, Scouts, Venture Crews), each unit has a committee with a committee chair, the committee and the chair is usually a parent with youth involved in the scouting unit. So normally a council helps to get the committee and chair setup BEFORE issuing a charter. I think a Cub Pack needs to have at least 10 youth and parents, a trop need at least 5 youth, a Scoutmaster, a Committee Chair, and Committee members...a Venture Crew needs about the same.

I am a Charter Organization Representative...we have Cubs, Scouts, and Crews and the number of adults registered and trained total about 45.

10. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2019-8-15_8-47-58.gif HOW WOULD YOU,

LIKE TO BE AN ADULT SCOUT LEADER?

You’ll get a chance to;

Sleep on in a tiny, leaky, tent on the cold hard ground,

Eat food prepared by 12 year old boys just learning how to cook,

Learn how to bathe in cold water at an open-air washstand,

Spend hours driving a car full of noisy kids while trying to find a remote location deep in the woods on very dark roads,

Enjoy winter’s bitter cold in a cabin heated by a tiny fireplace,

Realize you’re the first target in any activity involving water,

You’ll also get to watch the smiles on a boy’s face as he;

Sets up a tent all by himself,

Starts a campfire and cooks his own meal without anyone’s help,

Enjoys a few days without a bath, and with no one bugging him,

Sleeps soundly on the ride home after a very busy weekend,

Demonstrates his knowledge of outdoorsmanship in a winter competition,

Stands in the middle of the river ready to tip your canoe.

WA6OSX, KJ4VTH, W5TTP and 1 other person like this.