ad: QSKLLC-1

Hams selling off the IC-7300

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX2U, Jan 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KX2U

KX2U Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed lately a lot of ads of hams selling their 7300's. I know this happens from time to time but as of late it's almost every other day I see a few on here and other sites. I am left wondering if the new Yaesu DX10 has anything to do with it or maybe a different rig that hams have their eyeys on.

WW2PT likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course it does. New and shiny always wins.

N4FZ, N1VAU and KA4DPO like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They sold tens of thousands of 7300. Now count how many are NOT selling theirs

KI5WW, K0UO, W2TXB and 8 others like this.
  4. KX2U

KX2U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that could be for any number of reasons where affordability may be a big factor for those who are not. I am looking to pick up the ne DX10 but I am hoping it goes down a bit in price after the hoopla ends. Either way I will get a better price or have enough time to save for it.

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still trying to figure out what they previously had such that the 7300 was an improvement

N1UKX, WD4IGX and KA4DPO like this.
  6. KX2U

KX2U Ham Member QRZ Page

I myself bought an Alinco DX9 and loved it but saw the 991a and had to have that so I have both now and the alinco is in the closet packed away with about 35 hours of use on it. I saw the shiny new DX10 so here we go again.

K9DWB and KI4ZUQ like this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

My FTDX10 is scheduled for delivery today. I’ve wanted a small, modern second rig for years. Thought the 7300 was the one when it came out, but I passed on it—just too many things missing from it that I “need.” Two of them were a front-end and Audio Peak Filtering. The FTDX10 still comes up short in the feature column so it will never be my main rig, but at least it has APF and down-conversion/roofing filters ahead of the ADC, and I had some bucks for a change, so...now I’m waiting for the UPS truck! :D

I imagine the IC-7310 will be out soon. I’ll be interesting to see how Icom ups their game in response to Yaesu. And Kenwood, too—their rigs have always had long shelf lives, but the tech is moving so fast that 10 year old radios just don’t cut it in today’s market. Not that the TS-590SG *needs* to be replaced soon; it’s still a better all-around radio IMHO than the 7300 and FTDX10, but even I chose a radio with a fishfinder over the 590–and I am as old school as they come and have been dismissing them as gimmicks ever since the IC-780 came out in the 80’s!

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Gosh it's been DAYS since we had a "why are hams selling their 7300?" thread :):)

Dave
    W7UUU

K8EEI, K6WI, K0UO and 22 others like this.
  10. W7DGJ

W7DGJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a PCs versus Macs thing going on in the world of Ham Radio? I'm new again, after a 50 year break, but I don't remember such cantankerous commentary in the old days when everyone had a home-brew rig or a Heathkit, Collins, etc. Now, it's Yaesu people vs. Icom people and it reminds me of the whole Macs versus PC's discussions you still have going when you start talking about preferences on computers. Why do people do this??? I love my IC-7300, wouldn't consider selling it until something comes out that appreciably knocks its socks off. I think they'd have to go a fair distance to do that. (Speaking from an Icom/Mac shack, so you know where my affiliation is).

WW2PT likes this.