Hams Map Powerlines for Low Frequency Interference

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, Sep 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie, thanks for the excellent informative contribution!

According to the map generated, my proposed antenna QTH is 1.03 KM from a potential PLC candidate high-tension line. :eek:

Of course, as you pointed out, that doesn't necessarily mean that line has PLC signals on it (yet). And according to Google, technically there it is still a gnat-hairs margin of separation outside the designated 1 KM limitation.

It will be interesting to see if UTC responds in any way. Are you going to volunteer to maintain the reverse-engineered database of Part 97 FCC licensed QTH's denied or other info provided by the UTC? ;)

73 de John - WØPV

KQ6XA likes this.
  2. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

very cool....... btw, the copy/paste worked for me.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KQ6XA likes this.
  3. WB0RIO

WB0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

That site presents an interesting look at the local power grid infrastructure.

My QTH gets a lot of power line interference on the lower frequency shortwave bands,
    a few years back the local utility installed a bunch of current monitoring devices in various places
    along the distribution lines in the city. These are not the high tension lines shown in the map.

I hear those devices reporting back to the mothership every couple of minutes as a series of buzzes which decrease in
    intensity, probably a result of the distance of the devices from my location.

Food for thought: might it be possible to convince the utilities to do some time division multiplexing
    with their signals and allow a small dead-time that could be used for passing ham radio signals?
    That would only be good for automatic digital modes such as JT9, and not CW and phone.
    Of course, getting all of the utilities to agree on such a thing would probably be a bureaucratic nightmare
    unless it was lead by the FCC.

KQ6XA likes this.
  4. N2OA

N2OA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ooops. I didn't convert to the slash notation for latitude and longitude. I wonder if it will be accepted or kicked back in 29 days.. :-(

Dave
    N2OA

KQ6XA likes this.
  5. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Since the Utilities Technology Council web form doesn't offer any method to edit or correct errors, perhaps the easiest way is to just submit a new corrected entry.

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't remember whether or not I used the slash format for the coordinates when I submitted mine, just copied and pasted the results I got off Google Maps but I got a return message saying the submission went through. If I don't hear anything from them within 30 days, I'll give myself the benefit of doubt and transmit as soon as I get something to transmit with. My quarter-wave 160m vertical and 120 ground radials should work as an antenna, albeit less efficiently.

KQ6XA likes this.
  7. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Bonnie , i retyped the line and used google earth for stanislaus county ... looks like my house is in the clear
    Bonnie you already have some radios you use for splunking so your ready to go in the bands ?
    please keep up updated on your activities.

map for Stanislaus county area below

upload_2017-9-23_11-49-0.png

Attached Files:

KQ6XA likes this.
  8. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if power lines are near, if you submit your info to the UTC website, and they do not respond within 30days you are good to go, right? It is also innocent until proven guilty....??

KQ6XA likes this.
  9. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if the Utilities Technology Council has figured out the terrorism risks of exposing both the maps of the lines and the control frequencies?

anyways they are not part 15 accepting and demand part 15 TX accomodation and have "secret frequencies". can't have it both ways. I really doubt that 1W EIRP is going to "interfere" with anything. heck, we hams have trouble receiving an overnight integrated signal.

KQ6XA likes this.