ad: Alphaant-1

Hams Map Powerlines for Low Frequency Interference

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, Sep 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I don't remember whether or not I used the slash format for the coordinates when I submitted mine, just copied and pasted the results I got off Google Maps but I got a return message saying the submission went through. If I don't hear anything from them within 30 days, I'll give myself the benefit of doubt and transmit as soon as I get something to transmit with. My quarter-wave 160m vertical and 120 ground radials should work as an antenna, albeit less efficiently.

KQ6XA likes this.
  2. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Bonnie , i retyped the line and used google earth for stanislaus county ... looks like my house is in the clear
    Bonnie you already have some radios you use for splunking so your ready to go in the bands ?
    please keep up updated on your activities.

map for Stanislaus county area below

upload_2017-9-23_11-49-0.png

Attached Files:

KQ6XA likes this.
  3. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if power lines are near, if you submit your info to the UTC website, and they do not respond within 30days you are good to go, right? It is also innocent until proven guilty....??

KQ6XA likes this.
  4. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if the Utilities Technology Council has figured out the terrorism risks of exposing both the maps of the lines and the control frequencies?

anyways they are not part 15 accepting and demand part 15 TX accomodation and have "secret frequencies". can't have it both ways. I really doubt that 1W EIRP is going to "interfere" with anything. heck, we hams have trouble receiving an overnight integrated signal.

KQ6XA likes this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what the rest of you are doing, but, I saved my "application/request/notification/ect before I submitted it

so in a few years, the old "we don't have any record" routine won't work

KQ6XA, N3AB and K6CLS like this.
  7. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

to K6CLS,

You're right.
    It also isn't possible to keep a huge visible electric grid a secret... it is out there in the open for the public to see.
    The maps of it are completely public and open source.

Any citizen with a portable low frequency SDR waterfall display can simply drive near their local power line and scan for which frequencies of power line carriers are in use.

They refused the ARRL's offer to manage and map the potential for interference.
    Now, it seems that it will be crowd-sourced and open-sourced :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  8. AE9AM

AE9AM Ham Member QRZ Page

In a post 9/11 world it's probably going to be hard to leverage any info out of the power utilities that they don't want to give out, as they'll just go crying to Homeland Security if the FCC ever disagrees with them.

Personally I have local distribution power lines running across the back yard, then big HV a couple hundred yards in parallel beyond that, and I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I can load those suckers up as passive elements or something :)

9. KF1P

KF1P Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received the Operation Approved Letter from UTC ! ! !

Now to build an antenna for one or both bands.
    RX we have...the TX...we will see.
    Looks like a Winter Project

Attached Files:

K1XS likes this.
  10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats! Surprised the UTC actually issued such a letter. I was expecting that no response would be tacit approval. That puts me on edge until monday when my 30 days runs out. :eek:

73 de John - WØPV

11. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too, one hour ago!

KF1P likes this.
  12. KQ6XA

Anyone who gets rejected by UTC for proximity to a power line should post to this thread.

13. K1XS

K1XS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Received my approval today too. I filed the same day Bonnie posted this article.

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Approval received today too, both bands. Application sent day before OP (9-16-17).

15. KQ6XA

The whole notion that UTC has the power to "APPROVE" or "NOT APPROVE" is wrong.
    Also, the UTC's email reply is self-serving, erroneous, and probably violates the FCC ruling.
    They don't have the power to approve.
    They no force of law or rules to empower them to regulate ham radio.
    Their email response tries to wrap themselves with the air of authority that they are not authorized to invoke:
    "...amateur operators will be subject to FCC enforcement for unauthorized operations, as well as potential legal liability for damages that result from interference caused by amateur operations to PLC systems."
    The UTC's only duty under the FCC rule is to notify the radio operator, upon request, if they are within 1 kilometer of a PLC powerline. Period.
    There is no duty or cause for UTC to threaten licensed amateur radio operators with liability or enforcement.
    Only the FCC can do that.

UTC is not a government agency.

UTC is really nothing more than a club which has members, similar to ARRL.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    KK5JY and W0PV like this.