Hams In Scouting

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by K0PVW, May 21, 2011.

?

What Rank Did you get in Scouting?

1. Tenderfoot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Second Class

15.4%
  3. First Class

23.1%
  4. Star Scout

7.7%
  5. Life Scout

11.5%
  6. Eagle Scout

23.1%
  7. I was never in Scouting

19.2%
  8. I was not a Boy Scout But I am now a leader

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K0PVW

K0PVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am just kind of curious about our ham radio community and how many people are or were active in scouting. Also if you were a Scout what rank did you achieve?

2. WD4CHP

WD4CHP Ham Member QRZ Page

I made 1st class Scout, then girls came in the picture.

I was a Committee member, Assistant Scout Master, Scout Master, and Unit Commessioner.

I was also on the district adult training team.

I was also an elecronics and radio merit badge counselor.

My son made Eagle Scout.

Needless to say, I had more fun as an adult than a scout.

3. KC9RGW

KC9RGW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in scouts as a youth, in fact I just got back from a camp out earlier today. I am currently life but that's going to change pretty soon. I also work at a summer camp teaching Radio MB among others.

4. KD8NGE

KD8NGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was our sponsoring Fire Department's liaison to our scout troop.
    One of our assistant chiefs was Scoutmaster.
    We lived in a very rural area; I was a Lone Scout.
    Remind me to tell you about a local bottler who put up their product in what looked like a longneck.
    (Hint: The State Patrol was not amused!)

5. KJ4LTC

KJ4LTC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was in scouts from 2nd grade throuh my senior year in high school, achieved Eagle, with bronze and silver palms, a recipient of the William T. Hornaday award, Currently Cub Master for Pack 934. Enjoying it always! By the way...what do i need to do to mr a MB counselor?? 73

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

While growing up my dad ran the local pool hall and was a chronic gambler rarely around because of his hosting "poker" games late into the night and my mother was suffering from her first bout of uterine cancer.

There was a new scout troop formed in my neighborhood and I was allowed to join.

After a couple of months with no explanation, Hello, goodbye, or even as much as a Kiss My [censored] the troop which was meeting at the bingo hall of the local catholic church ( church st & Saint Michaels st. in Cincinnati) suddenly disappeared without warning.

They showed no commitment to me or the other kids in my neighborhood that could have benefited back then, So I am not there for them now as an adult and have no plans for allowing my grandson that i have custody of to join.

7. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wasn't Webelos before Tenderfoot? That's as far as I got. The Gray Y had co-ed "caravans" -- once I discovered that, scouts lost a lot of allure. :)

8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you're still pissed at your dad.

Scouting would be a great experience for the boy...and you too.

9. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

In Australia we didn't have all your gradations; you were just a Scout. Before I was a Cub, after, a Venturer. I didn't get a lot of awards or anything but I was a reliable member of the troop and an Assistant Patrol Leader for the last 2 years in Scouts. Sometimes stood in as Patrol Leader. I never went in for the Queens Scout Award; very few did.

I enjoyed almost all of it, and it was one of the 3 things that I think have made me what I am; the other 2 are motorcycles and literature. I would recommend Scouting as I knew it to any parent, and I know that in the UK there are often long waiting lists to join troops and packs.

10. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Explorer, bit of a break, the 20+ as an adult leader; Den leader, Cub Master, Assistant Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster, Unit Commissioner, Merit Badge Counselor. Brotherhood OA, Wood Badge. Oldest son became Eagle, second one reached Life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.