Hams, Computer Geeks and Nerds

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KWH, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Good grief, that move is almost 20 years old!

2. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

sounds like 'dilbert'.

3. W2AI

W2AI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you ever thought about becoming a movie critic?????

KF5RRF likes this.
  4. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ummmmmm. Jerry. I'm going to need you to come in this weekend and work on those TPS reports. Okay. Thanks.

WD4IGX, KF5RRF, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  5. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been a techie type person all my life. I started out as a TV repairman way back in the 70s when TVs still had tubes in them. I'm the guy who came into your home to fix the TV. I was a paramedic from 1980 until retiring from that in 2000. The last 16 years of my professional life I work in the IT field as a desktop technician among other things. So I think I qualify as to having a connection to the tech world.

Based on your recommendation I'll see if it's on Netflix or HULU and give it a shot.

KU4X likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the day there were 2 types of customers, Really Happy ones or Really Mad ones.

Depends on whether you fixed it in their home or had to take it to the shop, Or order parts.

A good TV tech made good money. And worked with no schematic, None was normally better than a Sams one fits all.

K5PHW likes this.
  7. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you guys for being kind and bearing with me! Of course, its a farce, but can you not relate to these people because you've MET people like them all your life? Or WORKED in such a place.:D:D:D While it IS farce, it also makes fun of the concept that the scuttlebutt around the water cooler about the ne'er-do-wells, the suck-ups, the guys that really don't deserve the promotions ARE the guys/girls that get them. (Peter, for example). He really doesn't care if they fire him, and in many cases, doing what he did would result in dismissal. Instead he's deemed to be management material. I know some people EXACTLY like that on the railroad I worked on. I knew the "cutworm" that came about once a year to cut jobs. I knew a fella (receiving clerk) that stayed behind constantly. The receiving area was chock full of unchecked freight while he wised off, talked about people behind their backs, left his post to socialize with buddies. HE got promoted. Last one on earth with "management potential".

I knew people who seemed wierd----yeah, some HAMS that were weird. C'mon: you see 'em at hamfests! LOL! And sometimes the guy that was treated the worst sometimes gets the upper hand in spite of himself. (Milton) "I'll burn this place down"!:eek::D But he ends up on some tropical island (it doesn't say where). And the rest is up to YOU.

Michael and Amir find other jobs--I take it, very similar to what they had: same old rut--chastened by their close call and another chance. Peter now works with a shovel and a work crew cleaning up the now burned-to-the-ground IniTek, and thinks he's found his calling. At the near end of the movie as he talks to a friend about his new job, the boss of the crew comes up just as Peter starts shoveling again. I wondered if Peter really found his calling, or if that boss in the white hard hat would turn out to be just like Bill

-Out of the fat and back into the fire?

Thanks for indulging me. Watch "Office Space" sometime and see if it rings any bells!:) I enjoyed it!

8. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ummmmmm, er, eeeeewwwwwww, that would be terrific"! NOT!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

9. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

All this ... and no reference to Steve, the magazine salesman?

Actually thought of this movie last weekend when I was convicted of money laundering (ok - forgot to remove wallet from my pants prior to throwing them in washer & washed money in there)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

"If you've never seen it ... it's new to you!"