Hams, Computer Geeks and Nerds

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KWH, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

This may be a bit off topic, but are ALL us considered nerds and geeks? I watched an old movie this weekend called "Office Space". I assume some of you have seen it? Anyway, the writer(s) really nailed the characters.

Peter: small cog in the machine very disatisfied with his job--kinda nerdy in a smoothe, but handsome way; the girls would go for him.

Michael: Minor degree in computer science and tech. Resigned to his fate, but dissatified with sitting in his gray cubicle shuffling papers and pecking at his computer. Nice guy. Geeky. Likely candidate for the license.

Amir: Middle Eastern transplant also basically resigned to the same thing, but hoping for better

Bill Lumbergh: Boss. Never see him without his coffee cup. Attempts to present a professional demeanor, semi-casual and VERY indecisive. He tries NOT to confront people with direct orders. Afraid of the managers "upstairs". Can never be direct and authoritative. He thinks he's cool (he's not), and patrols the halls and cubicles, cup in hand. "Managing". (NOT!) Would be surprised to learn he's a nerd!

Milton: Sad character. Geeky--VERY geeky. Loser. Mutters to himself under his breath a lot. Has an obsession with a red Swingline stapler.

As the story reveals itself, Lumbergh gathers the staff and tells them the company has hired a couple of "efficiency experts" to take a look at the company's operations, "Uh, er, ah (sucks in his breath", he starts to tell the staff that which they already know without letting them know (and failing)that jobs are on the line, "We want to ah, er, ooooooooh, um.......get a feel of what it is our employees do in an 8 hour day"\. Don't worry about them, they just, ah......want to talk to each of you................................."

At this time, Peter has already decided that "IniTek" (whatever that is) is not really how he wants to live his life.
    Michael comes to Peter and tells that Lumbergh(ooooooh, ah, er) wanted Peter to come in Saturday and work. So Peter does everything he can to avoid Bill. But about 10 minutes before 5, here comes Bill, ever-present coffee in hand and "traps" Peter before he can slip away.

"Eeeeeeeeew, ooooooooh, er, uh, I'm gonna kinda, like, er uh, have to ask you to come in in the morning," Lumbergh goes.

Peter goes over to a place called "Chachi's" to meet a waitress, played by Jennifer Aniston.

After talking to Jennifer, he's got the hots for her, invites her to go play on the lake Saturday morning. Blows off Lumbergh. All attempts by Bill to contact Peter fail.

Peter doesn't really care if they fire him. He doesn't quit. He doesn't do anything at all. But he comes Monday morning about an hour late, wearing shorts and a casual shirt, sneakers. Lumbergh sees him as he enters.

"Ummmmmm, PETER! Uh, er, we need to tal------------". Peter brushes him aside. Michael informs Pete, "Hey!! Where you been, man?? OH! The evaluator guys are in the conference room; you're up next. These two are REALLY nerds. Prob'ly considered by the office crowd as A H'es wherever they go.

So they proceed to interview Peter who tells them he comes in about an hour late each AM, listens to music for about an hour, then maybe, just maybe, "I work an hour or two", then I relax on break. Then I go home.
    He reveals he's just into the job, really. The efficiency guys decide, "the trouble is, you aren't being challenged enough by management and they think Peter is a ripe candidate for upper management" They reveal this to Bill Lumbergh, who winces, "Eeeewwwww, (sucks in breath), ummmmmmm, er,. ah'm gonna kinda, sorta, real-l-l-l-y need to like.............disagree with you there".

Lumbergh takes Milton's red stapler away from him and tells him he needs to "like, er, kinda, move his desk back to the far wall . Milton peers thru his thick, coke-bottle glasses, and mutters and stutters, "Bu-bu-bu, I just moved up here 2 weeks ago, its a lot of trouble, and you, sir, have got my stapler that I bought, and....uh, this is not fair.........." All while Lumbergh ignores him and walks away. Milton is heard (if you listen carefully),"Bu-bu-bu-listen, th-th-th-uh wait a minute, Mr. Lumbergh, .....and you've got my stapler". (Long pause) Milton says very low, "I'll burn this place down".

Next day, Pete walks in in black suit and tie. He is now manager of a group of the cubicle inhabitants, and he is aware that his best friends are getting cut off. He thinks its not fair. The night before he convinces his buddies IMichael, mostly) to create a virus that will skim minute amounts of money from the company's accounts and place it in his credit union to be shared with the boys who were just laid off. Michael created such a virus, and Amir hands it off to Peter in the hall on his way out. Next day, Peter checks his credit union account, thinking it has a few hundred bucks in it. Instead of a few hundred, there's $305,000 in Peter's account!:eek: YIKES. Peter knows he's in real trouble. Jail bound fer sure!:p

Milton had also been laid off--actually he'd been laid off 2 years before, but a glitch in corporate accounting AND the managers' fear of conflict allows Milton to keep working, unaware that he's not employed. His paycheck is now stopped.

Peter writes a note of confession, encloses 3 money orders/checks for $305,000 and takes them to the plant and slides them under the door of Bill Lumbergh's office. He is unaware that the door is unlocked, and he changed his mind for a moment, and attempted to retrieve the check. In the morning Milton shuffles to payroll. "uh, ......but you don't understand, I've already been to Mr. Lumbergh's office, his secretary told me to come to payroll
    , and payroll told me to come see Mr. Lumbergh, an' I haven't received my paycheck for 3 weeks now, and.........er, uh (pause)...h'es still got my stapler.

He's getting exactly nowhere, so he shuffles back to Lumbergh's office. Seeing no one, he opens the door and shuffles in, walking over the white envelope containing the 300 grand. " I see my stapler on Mr. Lumbergh's desk; I'll just get it while I'm here."

Of course its morning now and convinced that Peter is going away for a long "stay" (prison), he comes back to the Initek plant.........................to find it engulfed in flames!!!!!o_O:eek: I mean, thoroughly, hopelessly, roaring to the sky on fire! Milton is also there, peering thru his thick glasses, muttering incoherent phrases, moving thru the crown, then shuflling away. Peter is smiling. He's saved by a fire that he had nothing to do with.

The scene shifts to a tropical island and.................................MILTON!!! Sipping an exotic drink. The waiter comes by, tray in hand.

"Uh, sir, SIR!!!! I ordered an ,er, whiskey sour, Ah, uh, I didn't ask for salt, but you gave me a pina collata with salt, lots of salt--I specifically said NO salt, you-you-you gave me salt. UH, AH, SIR, SIR, SIR, YOU'RE IGNORING ME AGAIN............................................................(Pause) "More plainly as the waiter walks away, "I'll shut this place down!!!".

If I have totally bored us with this long post, I apologize. It was a comical movie and it made me wonder if we hams very often exhibit those kinds of nerdy characteristics. I could identify with these guys, nerd and otherwise, and see certain of the principals in the movie in people I have known. And hams I know, too. The efficiency experts, we had on the railroad, for example. They would come about every year, begin to shuffle thru waybills and papers. One always wore expensive suits. We called him "The Cutworm" behind his back because just as sure as he showed up, there'd be jobs abolished and a huge roll (displacement).

Anyway I enjoyed the movie and its not often you see people so accurately depicted in film!

2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wouldn't a link to rotten tomatoes have been a bit more efficient?

WD4IGX, NE1U, W4IOA and 3 others like this.
  3. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! You must have really liked the movie to write such a detailed review/narrative. Unfortunately I gave up reading after three paragraphs when I decided I would probably never see the movie.

NE1U likes this.
  4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No Patrick, you need to see the movie...he left out the part on how Peter became a manager.

Here's the short review: it doesn't suck, and if you have had any connection with the tech world in the last 25 years, you can relate to it. It's an excellent way to burn through a Friday night. Enjoy!

Regards,
    -Bruce

N0NSR, W4POT, WD4IGX and 4 others like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

TL : DNR

NE1U likes this.
  6. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good one:)

7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya ha!

8. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You mostly nailed it. Peter getting to management is the best, and for us nerds; most depressing part.
    ;)

9. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love the movie, Anyone forced to suffer clueless, ineffective management (all of us) can relate, not just techies. :D

W4POT, K5PHW, WU8Y and 2 others like this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm afraid so. Office space is a farce, not reality. Reality is that if you are a ham you are a nerd. Also, you left out, dink, weenie, creep, troll, spaz, tard, braniac, dip, dipwad, eggbert, buttmunch, nose picker, and a bunch of others.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    W9FTV and KA2CZU like this.