Hams are a skeptical lot

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7QPS, Feb 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or maybe just thinks they might need to ship the radio someday. :rolleyes:

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe this. Or someone who has a lot of space to store cartons.

In reality, "the original box" is often sadly insufficient to make shipment to anywhere, and virtually all of them I've seen were never designed for a second use. Designed minimally to survive a first use.

"Reusable" packaging costs considerably more than single-use packaging. Some of the "ham rig" packaging I've seen (based on my own purchases) were designed for palletized shipments to distributors, where the pallet is broken down to individual cartons for walk-in customers (counter sales) and never intended for individual shipment anywhere. I'd overpack all of those for actual individual shipments.

KI4AX, WZ7U, KU4X and 2 others like this.
  3. W4NNF

The real world. Oh, I know in your wonderful world there're no stolen or imaginary rigs on the Bay. :p

4. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No problem at all. ;)

5. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I couldn't help myself there.

I don't know if I even have my Yaesu box. I didn't think it was too sturdy to begin with - I think if I were to ship it I would pack the original box inside a larger box with some proper packing around it.

KD4IEM likes this.
  6. W4NNF

Not in my experience. The ones I have from the major manufacturers are more than sufficient for shipping (double boxed, natch, just as it came to you) and far better than what you're going to find at your local UPS store--for one thing thanks to the custom Styrofoam inserts, etc.

KC8VWM likes this.
  7. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got a FINE cardboard box for you if the price is right! :D:D:cool:

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My experience differs.

Depends on the exact model equipment, of course.

I remember my "brand new" (in 1990!) TS-850SAT packaging, which I actually still have stored up in the attic -- by now a mouse may have shredded it or something, I haven't looked in years -- but after receiving the rig from HRO I went to re-use the original Kenwood packaging to ship the rig to NJ so it would show up at a friend's house for a contest, then I planned to ship it back home to myself after that.

That packaging didn't survive the trip well at all. Thankfully, the only damage to the rig was to the AF (volume) control, which evidently got slammed and now is a bit hard to rotate but actually still works. It could have been worse.

I did discuss the packaging with Kenwood USA locally after that, and they had a Japanese engineer who promised he would ask the factory about the packaging. A few days later, he did respond! -- the answer was "single use packaging, we don't want you to use it a second time.":p

No kidding. They probably still remember that.

9. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you double box it?:p:p:p:rolleyes::)
    Overnight express all for the price of free.:p:rolleyes:
    Unless it is pick up only,then just leave it by the curb..I'll get it later:p:p

KD4IEM likes this.
  10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a red flag to me but I don't normally purchase sight unseen. Reading such descriptions seem to lean towards skepticism on my part, more so than someone just say it works and puts out full power. I guess the real issue is with me, if I put something up for sale it works unless I state different.