ad: qroparts

Hams are a skeptical lot

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7QPS, Feb 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

It's not just a box.

The original box is the properly engineered shipping container for the radio equipment.

I guess it's much nicer to ask people if they have the original box, rather than start questioning them about their packaging abilities, or lack thereof.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    KI4AX likes this.
  2. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might have missed it but that's okay, we did (not you and I) actually in a recent thread discuss the original cardboard box issue. I don't see any correlation between a original box and the Rig.

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, well, no I didn't see that. I took it to mean in this thread.

Original box vs. well packed in a different box doesn't matter to me either, as I said. I've never before run into this issue of a radio shown in the ad in a similar box for a later version of the same radio. That's unusual, and I was just saying that I can see why it might give some people pause. Now there could of course be a good reason for that. Maybe the seller didn't keep the original box but has now replaced the radio with the updated version and the box for that still fits well and is good for shipping the previous one they are selling, for example. But some explanation might allay fears.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    KD4IEM likes this.
  4. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a good point Charles, and a good reason to save the original box. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker. :D

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember long ago 'the box' being a big deal in the CB world. Maybe that sentiment is a carry over of some sorts? o_O

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh. My radios are scratched, dented and well-used -- but I kept the boxes so I could ship them in for repair, if need be. Kinda poo-poos the theory that people who keep the boxes take better care of them, huh!

N0TZU and K7JEM like this.
  7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

...or collectability: a collectable is worth more when accompanied by its original shipping container.

KI4AX likes this.
  8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

So you have more than 1 FT897 rigs to sell. eBay ad says 3. Beginning to see red flags...

9. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

No I only have one. I just checked and only one is listed my eBay listing.

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know a pea-picking thing about the CB world...but as far as ham radio, I think "the box" fans have several reasons: in general, someone who kept the box probably took good care of the radio...if you can show a picture of the box, you probably actually have it and the radio that came in it...having it helps ensure it gets shipped to you undamaged...if you've got the box, you probably didn't acquire the radio via five-finger-discount. ;)