Hams are a skeptical lot

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7QPS, Feb 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure exactly why, but hams sure seem to be skeptical buyers when buying radios from other hams.

Trying to sell a radio. First tried QRZ. Got a lot of e-mail correspondence but nobody ponied up any money. Had one guy express what appeared to be serious interest in buying it, but then he backed out because the cardboard that I had wasn't the "original cardboard box" and he e-mailed me to tell me that meant I didn't take care of it. Something about how people who save original boxes take better care of radios that those who don't save boxes. OK dokie.

Now I am selling it on eBay. Someone writes to me to ask how it works or if it is an estate sale find. (Keep in mind - this is a solid state transceiver. Generally they either work or don't work. There is not much in between.) I tell him it works fine.Then he wants to know my definition of "fine". (i.e., what is the power output on all bands and all modes, which I don't know and have never checked.)

It will sell, but I am getting a lot of peanut gallery comments. I just want to sell the radio.

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

It's like buying a car without a mechanic around to check it out: you don't know how the seller treated it so you don't know what kind of problems you'll find after you purchase it. With respect to your box, the same analogy applies: if the car's body is less than perfect then one assumes that the seller didn't take very good care of the car, so give it a miss.

With solid state stuff, there could be intermittents so it's not always that it's either 100% or dead.

Part and parcel of buying any expensive purchase without seeing the item, first, so nothing new here.

N2EY likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

People are just cautious with how they spend their hard-earned money. There are scams and ripoffs rampant out there like never before.

Caution is a good attribute and people are just being cautious.

Dave
    W7UUU

KK5JY, KD2NOM, WD8T and 4 others like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

People are tired of sellers burning up a rig and then it selling as in good condition. It's nothing you personally did, it's people before you that have poisoned the well for everyone after. Better get used to it if you plan on selling over the web. ;)

Do some go overboard? Well of course they do! Just like guys selling a 30 year old radio for $100 less than what it was purchased for new. You just shine on the fodder and move on.

WD4IGX and N2EY like this.
  5. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Except

a) It's a solid state rig so it is hard to misuse
    b) The condition of the radio itself will speak far more to the care/use/abuse it has seen than whether I kept the box
    c) Whether the original box is included really has nothing to do with how the radio has been cared for. I might have installed the radio in a car as a mobile unit (hard life), used as contesting (maybe hard life), or brought to many Field Days (very hard life), and kept the box. Or I might be short on space, thrown out the box, and kept the radio in a closet, and it's barely used.

In my case, I believe the radio is barely used but I am not the original owner so I don't know for sure. But I think the picture speaks for itself. It's in pristine shape and shows little sign of use. With or without the original box, a recipient is likely to be very happy.

DSC_0884.JPG

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's obviously been very abused because the panel is all black when they started out white. Was it in a fire?:p

Just kidding, it looks perfect.

"Local sales" where someone can come look at it and try it out are sooooooo successful, that's all I ever do.

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always add that I am willing to video record a qso with you or with a friend of yours and upload it to youtube to demonstrate it is in perfect working condition. I have also made videos where I have called CQ and asked the person responding to tell me what the audio sounds like, the signal strength, where they are and what todays date is and added that to my advert.

Can you fake a video? I guess its possible, but it would take a heck of a lot of effort. But one thing is for certain, I get very few tire kickers by doing what I do. It also protects you against phony paypal claims.

W4JHU, WD4IGX and WZ7U like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's people that will raise holy hell if they find a cat hair in the packaging or OMG-the smell of cigarette.

KQ9J likes this.
  9. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They might be skeptical. But are they farcical or ethical? That is the question! :p

10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Craigslist isn't any better most of the time.