hams and BPL

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

It appears that BPL shall become a reality in operating as soon as the FCC NPRM is approved by the Commission.

We hams SHALL have the chance to experience the QRM that will infest our VHF/HF bands once it rolls out.

The question is NOT.. 'what can I do to keep BPL from being implemented' or 'what can I do to keep myself from being harmed by the QRM that BPL will generate'..

The QUESTION *IS*..'what can I do to make sure that BPL 'gets the message' that they need to take their responsibilities under Part 15 SERIOUSLY!?'

I AM NOT ADVOCATING, SUGGESTING, or INSINUATING that ANYONE actually undertake to DO any of the following items.

I ONLY REPEAT them because they have been heard over the air and also in face-to-face conversations between variuos hams.

1)  BPL radiates. Since it sends RF OUT into the world, then by definition RF that is out in the world can GET INTO BPL systems.

2) It has been PROVEN that medium to high power amateur RF signals CAN and DO generate enough induced or near-field signal strength to disrupt, distort, or impede BPL signals due to the 'what comes out also allows stuff to come in' phenomenon.

3) If a ham, operating LEGALLY and PROPERLY, finds that their RF signal impacts BPL and causes BPL folks to lose connections, lose data, or otherwise be impacted.. well.. that's the nature of the beast!  So SOLLY!

4) We hams, should... IN THE SPIRIT OF HELPING THE BPL PROVIDER FIND, IDENTIFY, AND LOCATE weak points in their BPL system use OUR HF/VHF rigs as much as we can.

After all.. if BPL folks find that OUR LEGAL and PROPER operations make their systems fail or fault.. THEN they'll work to find ways to fix it.

So.. when BPL comes to your town.. OPERATE YOUR RIGS!  Go mobile!  HELP THE BPL PROVIDERS FIND THEIR WEAKNESSES AND CORRECT THEM!

PROVIDE THEM A SERVICE!  BE PERSISTENT!

Ahh,, the joys of PROACTIVE ASSISTANCE TO THE BUSINESS WORLD!

Again..

I AM NOT ADVOCATING, SUGGESTING, or INSINUATING that ANYONE actually undertake to DO any of the following items.

I ONLY REPEAT them because they have been heard over the air and also in face-to-face conversations between variuos hams.

K3FT

An added thought based on thinking about the above..

Imagine the following happening.. (fantasy, I know.. but it does make for a good story, none the less. I don't know if such a thing as I'm about to relate is even possible. I've never explored it and won't do it anyway - even it WAS possible&#33[​IMG]

"BPL Service techs make a 'midnight run' during a snow storm on Sunday to 'reset the tripped BPL devices'. As they drive away, a person watches, from a 2nd story window, and sees them drive away.

After about 10 minutes.. this person returns to his HF transciever, checks the tuning, and proceeds to call a nice long CQ. After about 1/2 hour or so, he happens to look out the window and sees the BPL providers service truck out by the poles. He watches and sees the tech climb the pole or perform some other steps to reset the tripped BPL devices -again.

He smiles, because HE'S made that 'midnight trek in the snow himself' in the past as part of his job. He idly watches the guy do his thing, pack up his truck, and leave. The ham goes back to HF and decides to call another CQ.

And the cycle continues..."

Is such a scenario possible or likely? I dunno.

2. WA3KYY

WA3KYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparantly that is what is happening out in 6-land. Using just normal 100W HF rigs, it seems that a whole lot of the BPL devices need to be reset by the field service techs. Anyone have any current information on this?

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I continue to wonder what AM, TV and FM broadcast stations, Public Service Band radios such as Fire, Police, and Rescue Squad are all going to do.

I would think that AM Broadcasters, certainly, are going to be howling when their former "Class A" service area becomes their "Class B" , and their other service areas cease to exist!

This is SOOOO wrong !

73 from Jim AG3Y

4. KB2IOF

KB2IOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, it's all about money.

We'll see what happens...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.