ad: Radclub22-1

HamRadioReviews: Yaesu ATAS 120A Using with FT-857D [Video]

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by SV2RMK, Dec 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. SV2RMK

SV2RMK Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was out to film the “Solar powered Ham Radio for Beginners” video, I thought I’d also make a Yaesu ATAS 120A Using with FT-857D video.

[​IMG]

Here is the video, enjoy: https://wp.me/p800qu-c2

HamRadioReviews on Instagram: @hamradioreviews
    Facebook: @hamradioreviews
    Twitter: @hamradioreviews

K0PIR and KM4ZQI like this.
  2. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Whats wrong with the video? the audio keeps cutting out

W4CHE and SV2RMK like this.
  3. SV2RMK

Just viewed it on two different computers and a tablet. Looks and sounds perfectly fine. Not sure why you are having issues. Thanks, 73!

4. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings Dimitris!
    Thanks for the video, it looks like you are having fun.

I also have the FT-857D / ATAS-120A combination, and I wish to identify some misunderstanding you may have about your system.

Specifically, you seem to believe that the MANUAL tuning process requires the operator to change the transmission mode, and also change to a low power setting, prior to using the MANUAL TUNE feature. This is not at all correct, as described in the Operation Manual on page 69 (English Version).

upload_2016-12-19_13-39-23.png

If you try it, you will see that during MANUAL tuning, the radio will change to all of the same special parameters (CW Mode / LOW Power / SWR Display) that occur during AUTOMATIC tuning, REGARDLESS of which transmission mode the radio is currently set to operate.

I hope this change of operating habit will enhance your enjoyment of the ATAS system. I have been very pleased with my antenna, with logs filled with contacts around the globe, and always tuning with just the push of a button.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

K1EMS and SV2RMK like this.
  5. SV2RMK

David, thank you very much for clarifying this. I read the specific part multiple times when I got the system two years ago. You are right, this is what I believed to be the case, that I had to change mode and lower the power when tuning manually. It wasn't clear to me in that part of the manual whether "Antenna tuning is accomplished..." regardless if you are doing a manual or an automatic tuning. So I just chose the "safest" path of changing it to avoid any potential damage. Thanks again, 73!

6. N8PC

N8PC Ham Member QRZ Page

the only other thing no video shows is when you first setup your A.T.A.S. 120 antenna with the radio is that you have to initialize it to the radio as it does this by setting your settings as you describe then waiting for it to tune all the way up and then down to register it to the radio. Then it will show ATAS or atas depending on bands and settings. to run all ports thru it you need a Diplexer to combine both ports into one antenna. Also it is pronounced A.T. A. S. not ATAS.

SV2RMK likes this.
  7. SV2RMK

Thanks for the suggestion. Please forgive my bad pronunciation, I am working on it!

8. K2CWM/SK2023

K2CWM/SK2023 XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video, thanks.
    Curt WA2JSG NJ

SV2RMK likes this.
  9. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

Dimitris
    First your pronunciation is fine, I have only spoken English my whole life as I am born and raised in the USA and I still speak incorrectly at times. English is not easy all the time. Your video was great and there are always more than 1 way of doing things. Thanks for the video it was great.
    Robert n0yg Kansas

SV2RMK and MTPOCKETS like this.
  10. SV2RMK

You are welcome!

Thanks, I appreciate it!