ad: CQMM-1

HamRadioNow: The China Balloon (and Ham Radio?)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Feb 6, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HamRadioNow: The China Balloon (and Ham Radio?)

Bill Brown WB8ELK started launching near-space ham radio balloons in 1987. He can tell us more about this balloon from China than we’re getting from CNN. Joining Bill is Todd McKinney KN4TPG, a Masters student in Atmospheric Science at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. Todd got interested in HAB (High Altitude Ballooning), and got his ham license so he could fly balloons with APRS and WSPR transmitters. He specializes in 'balloon trajectories' - predicting and tracking the flight paths of high-altitude balloons as they circumnavigate the planet. Together they have insights on the Balloon from China that you won’t hear in the mainstream media. And then we talk about what’s happening on the balloon front in ham radio.

And yes, they're worried about a 'crackdown' on international scientific balloon flights.

HamRadioNow is also an audio podcast on your favorite podcast app, and our website: https://HamRadioNow.tv

73, Gary K4AAQ (East Coast Host)

KF0GKC and VK5FUSE like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'alarm' of the PRC balloon was initiated by pilots, not public. And justifiably so.

The problem was that people were seeing it from the ground and calling their local police. So the POWER of social media was to discourage that reporting (as it should) since folks could find out for themselves on the net, when it became public.

It would be really cool if the PRC debacle encouraged hams to get into ballooning (w/ham radio).

Suggest listing some links ...

3. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you priortise your radio. Then I under stand why you believe cnn.

KE7DRT, N8ZI, KU2C and 4 others like this.
  4. K7QXG

K7QXG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend, KW7DSP, found a sudden path to stations all over China on FT8 when the balloon reached a certain position over the USA. I've seen the log of his FT8 QSOs with Chinese stations and it was very impressive. I have been a ham for 62 years and he worked more Chinese stations in that single pass than I have since 1991!
    de K7QXG

5. K2BKT

K2BKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good for him - giving a helping hand to our enemies in China. :oops:

N8ZI likes this.
  6. K2BKT

K2BKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NO. 'Social media' shouldn't have the power to discourage anybody from reporting anything. 'Social Media' are not your friends.

K5MPH, K5WRN, N3HOE and 6 others like this.
  7. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

And here we are already... hip deep in the morass of the Zed. Sorry, Fred - I love the Zoo, just not the animals.

G3SEA, W5LMM, W9EBE and 1 other person like this.
  8. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

You should tune into 7.200 if you enjoy the Zoo….

KE0GXN and (deleted member) like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps it would help to clarify my meaning. What I was referring to is funneling these sort of queries to police, and so on.

At least for many people, in the past, seeing something odd in the sky would lead to a call to the police, air force, and so on. These days, BEFORE such calls are made, many folks get on local 'patch' links on the web, or use other forms of social media to see 'wats up'. This takes the burden off police, and so on, and allows a commonality of shared info, in real time. Granted, not all of that info is correct, but that's just how people work.

You are on social media right now.

Surely we are not being unfriendly.

W1YW

10. N2YQT

N2YQT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What are the local police going to do about a balloon at 50,000 feet?

K5WRN and K3XR like this.
  11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

As posted on an internet forum "Social media" site ;):)

Dave
    W7UUU

N3HOE, N0TZU, WO1B and 1 other person like this.
  12. AD2EE

AD2EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's interesting! I've had 11 visits to my QRZ page by HAMS from the PRC (according to my FLAG COUNTER app) and I've never had contact with anyone from there using ANY mode/type of transmission!

K2BKT likes this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Out here near Seattle, Chinese stations are almost as common as Japan these days. Hasn't always been that way - not sure what's changed but I didn't work my first B station until around 2013 but now they're on FT8 nightly on all bands (especially 20m well after local dark) - and also very common in any of the big CW/SSB contests with international exposure.

I've heard that Italy stations for East Coasters are something similar -almost to the level of QRM at times - that's how JA and B stations can be for us out here in the West

Dave
    W7UUU

W7CNB, K7RLN and W1YW like this.
  14. NK8I

NK8I Ham Member QRZ Page

How is making contacts on amateur radio helping them?

Also I don't view the average Chinese citizen as an enemy. Their government, yes.

K9HKY, VE1EPJ, BG8KVC and 11 others like this.
  15. KB0TNG

KB0TNG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone happen to aim an antenna at the balloon and hear anything?

-m

VE1EPJ, N9XCO, KF0GKC and 2 others like this.