HamRadioNow: That ARRL Entry Level License Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Mar 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim,

The 'radio' age is about to explode into the 'IoT age'. Same waves. Different name. These kids can't imagine life before 'wireless'....radio is a DOMINANT part of their lives.

How many H1-Bs am I supposed to support because I don't have access to a 'pool skilled in the art' or wireless/radio here in the USA?

Think H-A-M .

Chip W1YW

NZ5F, W0GPR and WU8Y like this.
  2. W6TDX

W6TDX Ham Member QRZ Page

School work is so hard!

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL states that they have about 170K members... about 20% of the total US ham population. It would make sense to survey ALL hams.

KB0FKT, WW3JR and NK2U like this.
  4. KD4LT

KD4LT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that well be it for me , I well drop out of the ARRL . It was fun for the last 37 years but the ARRL is going to sell me out .

N3AB and NK2U like this.
  5. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I don't think there is anything to stop non-members or even unlicensed individuals from participating.

Ben

6. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

It should be like a learners permit to drive a car. FCC will give you a call sign but you can only operate with a tech or above in the room. And maybe put a 2 year expiration to motivate the upgrade. Basically Sh-t or get off the pot. I will be qrt now because of the qrm from the xyl. lol 73

W5TTP likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed that the link works w/o signing in. However, they stated they're looking for input from MEMBERS (not ALL hams).

8. K4PRB

K4PRB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Teach a licensing class. See how interesting you can make the lessons by going far beyond the license manual / study guide material with practical operating / construction examples to enthuse the students. If done right, you will have Techs on the air, trying 10 meter Es, and anxious to upgrade for more HF privileges. We've even had a handful jump into learning CW. If you don't have a clubhouse with multiple HF operating positions, invite them to your shack to operate, chase WAS, State QSO parties, etc. Plants don't grow just by being stuck in the ground, they need fertilizer, sunlight & water. We can provide the same for newbies. See W4CAR.org for our Spring training schedules (that might be an "older post" by now). Before you blame the system and try to change it, experiment to see what you can do to mentor new Hams within the existing license structure. I find my efforts and the results very rewarding.
    Paul K4PRB

KF4ZKU, N6SPP and KG5ILR like this.
  9. KD2MUX

KD2MUX Ham Member QRZ Page

As a new licensee (less than 1 month), I don't see the need for a new Class. I passed the Tech and the General in the same session after studying for a few weeks. It is already a simple test.
    What is needed is the involvement of the Radio Community to get youngsters interested in the hobby. To show them how much fun it can be. That will increase the licensed population.

NZ5F, KU4GW, KF4ZKU and 5 others like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your age, please?