ad: Radclub22-1

HamRadioNow: That ARRL Entry Level License Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Double post glitch.

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For anyone who cares, the ARRL ad-hoc committee on entry level license reform submitted their report on the survey earlier this year. Go to the ARRL Board of Directors Meetings site to find it along with the minutes of the July 22 Directors meeting.

The first two recommendations are to first petition FCC to add HF phone and data privileges to the Technician license, and to then start working towards a new "entry level" license.

Read the committee report for details but basically the new Tech data privileges would be the same their CW privs, and they would add phone at the high end of 80 meters and somewhere in 15 meters.

I am not sure there woul be a need for a new entry level license if they give more hf privs to Technician, but there it is.

Oh, and the committee report says to leave Novice alone because theres not many of them and the FCC has previiusly declined to change Novice privs.

3. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still not sure how a Technician isn't an entry-level license?

AD5KO and K3UJ like this.
  4. NN4RH

Well Tech is the entry-level license (you have to pass Tech first before moving up to General or Extra), but many believe it just is not a very effective or useful one for ham interest retention due to lack of phone and data privileges below 10m.

I agree with that but I think they are going too far with the recommended new Technician privileges. I think it's going to have the opposite effect. Too many priviledges, and that reduces incentive to upgrade further. Given Techs data privileges on 80, 40, 15 meters and maybe 20 meters, and my guess is that many of them will settle for that and never want to upgrade.

Oops. Sorry. I forgot that an "incentive" based licensing structure is offensive.

5. NN4RH

I'll post a new thread in Ham Radio Discussions with links to the ARRL Board Minutes and the Committee Report mentioned above.

6. KN0JI

KN0JI Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed! Let's let this die an honorable death.

AD5KO likes this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

With 750K hams already whoever says it is not very effective is smoking dope or wants more power such as the ARRL leadership.

Only to those who are offended and those I ignore as I went thru the original 1968 process. Lots of deadwood was left behind then and there is currently an overabundance of new deadwood that needs thinning out.

Carl

8. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

STUPIDEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD! Really stupid. You want new hams, target schools. Tell the ARRL to get off its rear and promote ham radio and chase new members instead of promoting themselves.
    Great, lets do just like the schools! Great idea!!! We will make it so easy that Joe's hamster can pass the test. Please make sure that each new test include the following:
    1. What does "hey good buddy" mean and how is it used.
    2. What does "whats your 20" mean?

Why do "do gooders" always think they have to change things that already work just fine. I for one think there are enough "clueless" operators on the air now. We dang sure do not need more.

9. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

It Is Broke and they are fixing it.

10. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Kill the Thread please.

How many of you are Technicians ???????

11. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you saying that anyone who is NOT a Tech should not have an opinion about this? Good luck with that argument. The jury won't buy it. You have gone through the process and earned your license. You are still a Tech for your own reasons. Strip out the expired licenses and the clubs and 50.235% of active licenses are Tech's.

So we need more incentive to attract brand new hams, most of which have no clue yet what it means to only have very limited HF privileges. This is when we can't get 50% of the current service to upgrade, who actually do have some idea what they don't have.

I have serious doubts about this plan. Unless we are shooting for 60% of all current licenses to be Techs. If that is the plan, it just might work.

12. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was for a while, doing CW on HF. I upgraded to General right about the start of NPOTA and then Extra a few months later. And I still mainly do CW on HF, although now I do 20 and 30 as well as 15 and 40

13. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you knew what the popular definition of a "Good Buddy" was back in the day, You probably wouldn't have mentioned
    it. If I gave you the answer, I would be out picking corn for sure....

Popular answer to Whats your 20 usually went along the lines of
    2 $5's and a $10 or some other combination, Since unlike Ham's, 11m Operators generally
    refrained form advertising their location...
    YMMV