HamRadioNow: That ARRL Entry Level License Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Mar 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N5IPA

N5IPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think they chose the words carefully.

AD5KO likes this.
  2. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

I must agree with NN4RH, in that it will never happen. But, his two replies in the early posts here are articles worthy of recognition. Both are well-written, and well-conveyed . Cheers to the man.

3. KN4CCC

KN4CCC Ham Member QRZ Page

As a community college teacher in Electro-Mechanical Technology I can say the following:
    1. In rural communities, electronics in school is pretty much dead.
    2. After teaching college courses to students we find the school system course credit structure actually penalizes 33% of students for taking a college technical class because it does not count for the same honors credits as some high school courses. Those same rules prevent 67% of students from even taking a college electronics class because their core high school work is sub-par. Heaven forbid a 67% kid discovering technology and motivating themselves to learn.
    3. Studying electronics requires interest and commitment, two features often not required in many high school technical courses. I have looked at the portfolios of high school technical students and it is not encouraging.
    4. Media often hypes attractive activities that require no effort. Activities that require effort and provide value for time spent are ignored.
    5. Many parents are not looking at student class options or even planning for their kids' future. They are not motivating kids to go to technical school any more. They are motivating the kids to cruise through high school and get the grades they are entitled to (not the ones they earned) and incur $40k in debt to flunk out in their third year at university.

This all sounds very negative. On the bright side there are few kids who are motivated and whose parents engaged. They are probably not headed for radio, but rather maker spaces to learn programming in C#, Python and SQL. They will learn about electronics and a few will become HAMs.

I am proud to be a technician. It was once a revered profession. And if the internet burns to the ground it will be again.

KB2SMS, N5IPA, AB4D and 1 other person like this.
  4. AB4D

AB4D Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps. My comment was meant to be taken tongue and cheek. The impact of the word is marginal at best. :)

In all seriousness though. There isn't a way to force feed ham radio to wide group of young people. We'll continue to attract a few here and a few there, and they will learn the subject matter, and pass the technician in it's current form. Just maybe, we'll keep a few beyond that initial 10 year period, and they will advance on to General and Extra.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    N5IPA and AD5KO like this.
  5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I took all the industrial arts courses I could in high school. One project I remember was building speaker cabinets. Remember the ones that we liked back in the 70's. Big as a book case!! So that was combining electronics and wood shop. Another one was I built a 10 meter beam. It was a rugged one and that combined electronics and welding. That is where I learned how to weld aluminum. Another class I took was learning about farm machinery since I lived on the farm. I remember learning to back up a 4 wheel hay trailer and learning farm safety.
    We had a video filming class start when I was a freshman and I was one of the two kids that they used to build the class from. I did that all 4 years till they finally worked up a formal class when I was a senior. That was a lot of fun to be the start up of the programs. I went to every sporting event and never had to pay to get into it. Just had my camera. They were big back then.

I learned so many different skills that has helped me all my life. I am not up on high school Industrial Arts in high school but if that stuff is going to the way side today that sucks. Kids are not going to know how to do anything that is practical in life in general when the grow up.

And when it comes to not teaching basic electronics and just teaching the new tech stuff is ridiculous. All the new technology is rooted in basic electronics. How can you teach the new tech stuff without learning the basics first?? And if a school teacher was any good at all he would not even bring up the old memorizing the answers. He would just pick a text book on ham radio and teach the info and give tests along the way. Or did they take away the ability for teachers to give tests now?? I guess that would not surprise me.

Sounds like the whole education system today maybe needs worked on a lot. Do we cater to the kids to much now? Are the kids running the school system now and we don't press them but just make it so they can get by??? Do they even have homework now to take home or did that have to go away to make things easy. I went to school, worked after school, did my farm chores and my homework. I suppose that is abusing kids now day!!!

Maybe I should run for a school board position!!!!

Well that is my rant for now.
    John, WB0MPB

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    AD5KO and AB4D like this.
  6. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That just made me wonder if there are science fairs anymore? I remember making electronic projects and going to the science fair up in Des Moines.
    John, WB0MPB

7. WJ2L

WJ2L Ham Member QRZ Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As regards reallocation, if CB is eliminated, the truckers and such could go over to vhf/uhf where they should have been in the first place.
    GMRS and similar services. Regarding 11 meters, thats definitly ham spectrum, where dx and skip can be legal. Who knows the Amateur service may get a few more licenses of those who want to work DX! I know this is pie in the sky thinking but maybe something is better than nothing.

8. WJ2L

WJ2L Ham Member QRZ Page

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    John, Good entry! Practical education is pretty useful and definitly has a part in this world. Good to hear your history as well. growing up on a farm
    give you alot of space for antennas and similar projects. 73 Bill

9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Now days its hard to determine if 2 meter FM or CB has more activity. Cell phones and wireless internet service has taken the place of a CB, some still have them. Around here its dead, back in the 70's and 80's almost everyone in the neighborhood had a CB and that was pretty cool times!!!

N5IPA and AD5KO like this.
  10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

11 meters was part of the U.S. amateur radio spectrum up until 1959. Shortly after WWII; a "citizen's radio service" was proposed by the FCC in the 470 mc region. The proposal did not fly because radio manufacturers did not want to supply equipment for UHF as it was not cost effective at that time.

WF9Q and AD5KO like this.