HamRadioNow: That ARRL Entry Level License Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Mar 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe not dying, but aging rapidly. We need to aggressively find 30-40 somethings to keep the hobby young,
    and 15-25 somethings to guarantee a future. If we succeed, we need to teach these new licensees how to become ham radio operators. If we fail, in 10-15 years the hobby will be history.

N5IPA likes this.
  2. N5IPA

N5IPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree adapt or go the way of the dodo. It is a hard hobby for people with a small disposable income to get started in. Not impossible but not easy.

AD5KO likes this.
  3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Experienced? Maybe 2%, rest are LIDS screaming over anyone in the way!

KK5R and AD5KO like this.
  4. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

We have no idea of the actual age demographics in the hobby, and although some people think we need more young people, there's no evidence that young people have any bearing on the health or future of the hobby. For example, the hobby seems to be doing better than ever, by attracting the 45+ demographic, who have the time, money, and property to invest in the hobby. Nothing against kids, but the theory that we "need" them to ensure the future of the hobby, remains just that... a theory.

AB4D, N5IPA and AD5KO like this.
  5. AB4D

AB4D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I tend to agree. Historical licensing data suggests, there has been continued growth in amateur radio for decades. What difference does it make to the actual health and longevity of amateur radio? Whether we recruit youngsters and teens into amateur radio now, or if we recruit them 30 years later, as 40 and 50 year old's, when they have ample budgets and resources to be fully vested into the hobby?

Jim AB4D

KK5R and N5IPA like this.
  6. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a teacher, I see that we definitely do have to teach to the test to survive, which is not good. But, I see WAY more kids taking calculus and trig much EARLIER. Many of our students are finishing those in the sophomore or junior year, and taking college math classes like Calculus II, Finite, etc. during the senior year. One of mine right now is taking differential equations! While my school is toward the top more than several, it's still your typical public high school. Other "average" high schools have the same thing happening.

We need to make this test, since we are stuck with it, relevant so that it teaches potential hams to know how to participate. Once they are on the air, that's when the real learning starts. But those fundamental facts and skills need to be checked off somehow before we turn them loose.

AG5DB and KK5R like this.
  7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said. Keep up the outstanding work getting one student up to DE's, that is great. It would be nice if your school would be able to pass the mojo around.

WB9VPG likes this.
  8. W8VIJ

W8VIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

John why did you bother to reply if you weren't concerned? The sky isn't falling. The hobby is dwindling! It is quite apparent to me and others. I am certainly not worried about it. I am simply not in denial like you are.

WF9Q likes this.
  9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I posted cause I wanted to. I didn't know I needed your permission!!
    I will let you and others take care of the "dwindling hobby". I am just going to keep having fun with it and I never have any trouble finding someone to talk to on the radio on the "dwindling hobby". I have plenty of things to take care of in my life without thinking about a "dwindling hobby" that is not effecting my life in anyway. I still have as much fun on the radio as I did 42 years ago.
    Good luck to you in making Amateur Radio what you want it to be. I am just going to have fun with it.
    John, WB0MPB

KD0NPT, N5IPA, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Your actions imply a false statement on your part.