ad: ProAudio-1

HamRadioNow: Making a $mall Fortune in Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HRN 309 Small Business POSTER SQUARE 250.jpg
    Dave Bottom WI6R (upper left),
    Jim Trapani KA2MBE (upper right)

HamRadioNow had a booth in the 'high-priced' exhibitor area of the 2017 Orlando HamCation (thanks to the generosity of Chairman Peter Meijers... and a cancellation by another vendor... because I hadn't arranged for a booth this year). That's the area where they set up drapes behind and between the booths, supply AC power, and you're likely to be surrounded by truly 'commercial' vendors rather than flea-market bins. I set up the SIB (Studio in a Booth) there and recorded several interviews.

I had one of those classy neighbors on either side: TuneMatic, which makes controllers for 'screwdriver' type motorized antennas, staffed by owner Jim Trapani KA2MBE on one side; and Arlan Communications which manufacturers RadioSport Headsets, staffed by owner Dave Bottom WI6R on the other. They both were doing brisk business throughout the fest, but things slowed down enough late on Sunday to bring them together for a conversation about small business in Amateur Radio.

Both sell high-quality, somewhat expensive products (let's say they're more than an 'impulse buy' price), and I was a little surprised that neither had any complaints based on the general characterization of hams as 'cheap'. Their products sell well, with plenty of customers who appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into them. Dave said he has to put a cap on growth to avoid outstripping resources.

Their stories lend an insight into the origin and operation of at least these two small ham radio businesses.

AD4AR and IX1FIT like this.
  2. K5VOU

K5VOU Ham Member QRZ Page

There is an old saying in the business side of amateur radio that goes like:
    "To make a small fortune in amateur radio, start with a large fortune and then get out after 5 years of losses."
    :)
    Tom K5VOU
    one of the founders of ICOM and Encomm (Original importer of Santec, KDK, Tokyo Hy Power, Welz, Diamond Antenna)

KE4HTS, NR2O, WA5M and 7 others like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's how to make money in ham radio--do a 'airbnb version' of remote radio.

First RHR, the premier remote provider, is da nutz, but because the fixed costs are necessarily high (superstations involved) , the customer base is somewhat small. In fact, that is perfect, because if customer base gets TOO large, access to stations will be frrstratingly limited. Right now its perfect,and the guys at RHR are doing a tremendous job. Kudos!

But think about all the elder hams in limited living environments: senior homes, assisted living, apartments in-kids- home, etc. They want HR access and will not be doing RHR.

If someone designs a turnkey system with remote boxes that tie into 'airbnb-like' remote stations (not super stations), and charge less than 10 cents a minute, these elders will sign up in droves. These remote stations can be 100 watt with dipoles or modest beams--no superstation needed.

Call it: "AIRTIME"

KB9WVK likes this.
  4. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Figuring out how to use the 'sharing economy' for ham radio might make money...and it also might provide an improved 'path to license' by setting up systems allowing 'remote third party' and 'remote elmering'.

However it will need to be more than simply a cheaper, lower end version of RHR. Right now, for free, you have:
    http://www.remotehams.com/

I have thought that there would be an opportunity for clubs to set up up remote operation shared stations, in much the same way clubs share the upkeep of repeaters. The benefit would be a better station than you could afford on your own, and no worries about what to do with the setup when you leave this earthly QTH. Perhaps pre-building packaged remote stations would be a business opportunity.

Jon
    AF7TS

W1YW likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jon,

The Elecraft system is great, but most of the users, at both ends, may not be elecraft equipped.

Free is great, but you often get what you pay for. OTOH setting UP clubs specifically to do this is also a great idea.

Chip W1YW

6. K4AAQ

C'mon, Tom... I tell that joke in the first three minutes of the show! Ya gotta watch at least that much before you drop in to make a comment.

W4ABC, N4AXE and K9PLG like this.
  7. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great show Gary. Great guests. Thanks all.

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Good interview!

9. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be even better if someone had a great setup like Airbnb and I could rent a cabin for a night and use their beam. I doubt many hams want people running amps on their stuff when they're not around, but I wish I had a friend with a lot of land, a big beam, and a lot of patience.

W1YW likes this.
  10. K5FUV

K5FUV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Am
    Amen to that!!
    Bill, K5FUV

11. K4AAQ

I guess my guests, Jim and Dave, missed the memo (but they heard the joke). They're both running successful businesses in ham radio. Making a fortune? Maybe not. But not losing one, either.

And now black to more comments from people who didn't watch the show....

W4ABC and N4AXE like this.
  12. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds very creative, but there could be a problem if the FCC decides that somebody has crossed the line from being an amateur to using an amateur license for a commercial business. At the least an attorney knowledgeable in Part 97 should be consulted first.

13. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always been amazed at the involvement of "commercial manufacturers" in the amateur market. My first rigs were home brew and kit. When I went from novice to Tech I got my first commercial rig...a Ten-Tec Triton IV. I've always wondered if there was enough of an amateur market to make commercial rigs a profitable endeavor. Apparently so...we still have them.

14. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Still a few kits out there, but nothing on par with the old Heathkit stuff :oops: Those SB-220s still are worth a small fortune and get snatched up at every hamfest.

I've put together a few kits and the cheap stuff never comes with decent instructions. And for the better stuff, a kit really didn't save me any money. But it was a sense of accomplishment!

Seems hard to think of Elecraft as a 'kit' :confused:

N4AXE likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The K2 is a kit and its challenging. Instructions are excellent but a lot of work.