ad: elecraft

HamRadioNow: HamWAN Tampa Close Up (and Up High)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HRN 310 HamWAN Tampa POSTER SQUARE 250.jpg

HamWAN is a 5 GHz high-speed data system... Long Distance Internet (or Intranet) without wires, on ham radio. HamWAN is on the air in Seattle, Memphis, and versions in Europe, and the system in Tampa that we'll see in this show. Like Broadband Hamnet, HamWAN is a high-speed data system. Unline Hamnet, HamWAN's infrastructure revolves around a few high sites, kind of like a repeater system. The similarity to repeaters, though, ends there, and you'll see why.

Our tour guides are Bryan Fields W9CR and Ryan Owens KJ4SHL, with the Florida Simulcast Group.

There are lots of videos about HamWAN and similar systems on YouTube. Here are links to the HamRadioNow talks from the DCC that cover that territory:

YO4FKO, IX1FIT and W4ABC like this.
  2. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You forgot New Mexico.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking out of lack of knowledge, and given that commercial communications is illegal, please tell us how this is a legal use of ham radio.

4. K4AAQ

Did you catch what Bryan said about that in ťhe show?

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am interested in a more informed and direct answer. Bryan obviously interprets Part 97 in a certain way. How do we know that is an accurate, legal interpretation?

Are you suggesting that I pursue a grey zone based on Bryan's opinion? Alone?

WF9Q likes this.
  6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you continue on with this type of activity? Why would you ask this question, is it to get more views on youtube so YOU make more money?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  7. K4AAQ

No. I was just asking if you heard what he said.