ad: ProAudio-1

HamRadioNow: Florida Repeater... Counsel?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is stupid!
    Give the guy his repeater pair and STFU....

AI7PM, KF4KUL, AD0MI and 1 other person like this.
  2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe that is an isolated issue.

The entire ham repeater band should be re-farmed and get with 12.5 khz spacing and require mandatory CTSS tones for analog stations.

Radio spectrum is a public resource and should be optimized for use by as many users as current technology permits.

K3RW, AD0MI and AF6LJ like this.
  3. K9CQ

K9CQ Guest

That is a complete other discussion but having more repeaters will not solve using our spectrum better. The repeaters that are on the air now are not even being utilized to the full extent. The last trip that I took across 5 states with all of the repeaters loaded into my radio, I heard 5 QSO's taking place on repeaters. We need to be better stewards of our spectrum by encouraging use. (back to topic) Tim

K3RW, WF9Q and AF6LJ like this.
  4. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

you're right. The problem here is there are dozens of 2M FM repeaters that sit idle 99.99% of the time, but our local coordinators keep them coordinated because when issues like lack of use on the spectrum is brought up, they'd rather stick their heads in the sand and pretend there isn't a problem. Then when people come along that want to put something on 2M, whether it's a Fusion, DMR, or DStar repeater, you can't because of the dozens of unused pairs which they claim are still being 'used'. It's really sad and it's holding back amateur radio on 2M (and apparently 220 in some areas!)

WF9Q and AF6LJ like this.
  5. N5XO

N5XO Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple fix to this crap. Send a letter to the FCC, with documents showing what you have gone through in this coordination. Then put up your repeaters and operate. The FCC does not recognize coordination beyond an interference issue. By documenting with the FCC and confirming date you put up the repeater you effectively are providing "squatters rights". Tell those idiots in Florida Repeater Society to go to hell.

KF4KUL, K3RW, W4ABC and 1 other person like this.
  6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

South Africa made 12.5 khz channel spacing mandatory .
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2014/february/amateur_radio_repeaters_must_comply_with_12_5 khz_channel_spacing.htm#.WNklhEcpDQo
    Amateur radio repeaters must comply with
    12.5 kHz channel spacing

South Africa's regulator ICASA confirmed on Friday at the quarterly SARL - ICASA Liaison meeting that amateur radio repeaters must comply to the 12,5 kHz channel spacing.

Disclaimer: I found this from a google search so it might very well be FAKE news.

AF6LJ likes this.
  7. W6QY

W6QY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think people (several posters on this thread at least) need to relearn the term 'Click Bait':

"Clickbait is a pejorative term describing web content that is aimed at generating online advertising revenue, especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, relying on sensationalist headlines or eye-catching thumbnail pictures to attract click-throughs and to encourage forwarding of the material over online social ..."

The title of this thread is........Florida Repeater... Counsel? Which is the worst example of Click bait I have ever seen.

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. AF6LJ

Good advice;
    I would add take the bastards to court, they will lose and end up paying court costs.
    Find a way to sick the IRS on them.

To my way of thinking this is gone beyond being polite with these idiots.

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are way too many repeaters now. Way. Too. Many.

Why is this the case? Because once upon a time, there was one repeater in the area on 146.94, and everybody was happy. The repeaters were so busy, it was hard to find a time to maintain them. But then, someone came along and wanted a repeater to do RTTY. So a second repeater went up, on 146.70, and everybody was now happy.

This was just great, until someone came along wanting a repeater for the DXers to congregate on, so another repeater went up, on 146.82.
    And everybody was happy.

Then, a new radio club was formed nearby, and they had to have their own repeater. So another one was added - actually, the club put up one on each band, and when D-Star came along, they added D-Star repeaters on two bands. Other clubs were formed for various reasons, and each had to have it's own repeaters on a couple bands.

Eventually, lots of people with Technician licenses read the rules and discovered that they could run repeaters. So dozens of them went up on the air. And that led to today's situation - a zillion repeaters covering all available repeater pairs, with only about 1/10th of a percent utilization, because there are so many repeaters that nobody knows where to even listen anymore!

We don't just need frequency coordination, we need common sense. Somebody needs to ask "why do you want to tie up another repeater pair with a machine that will be lightly used, if it all?". Perhaps we could reserve two meter frequencies for high level, wide coverage repeaters, while the guy just wanting a 'vanity' repeater can put it on 52, 222, 440, or higher. Of course, any effort to do so without some regulatory action will result in lawsuits.

KF4KUL, KA0HCP, AD0MI and 2 others like this.
  10. AF6LJ

Everybody has equal use of the frequencies, everyone who wants a repeater has the right to have one.

KD5BVX and WF9Q like this.
  11. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

What in the world do think this entire website is, it's highly monetized with google ads, kinda like the pot calling the kettle black. If this website is truly devoted to Ham Radio instead of personal gain the ads would not be on it..... Additionally, this site benefits from the traffic count, so, that is analogous to "a fox having the key to the hen house", old but very relevent.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  12. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

W1YW lands on every HamRadioNow post because he realizes that my programs address issues he can dig into. He may disagree, and he gets to start his own 'show' here in the QRZ.com comments (with your help). More power to him (up to 1500 watts PEP).

As for click-bait, this title is hardly that.

It is a play on words - Council vs. Counsel. "Counsel" has several definitions, and "lawyer" is just one of them. It was my intended reference because Bryan discusses bringing a lawyer into the situation. But I was also aware of the definition being "wise advice". It plays on many levels, all of which are germane and none of which rise to the level of click-bait.

Does subtlety and nuance escape all of you? (And that is click-bait)

And now, back to the W1YW show....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    KD5BVX, K3RW, W4ABC and 2 others like this.
  13. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, it's not "click-bait" it is a "Headline". If you look at headlines in magazines and newspapers they are written in a similar fashion, a snappy few words to outline the article and get your attention. Click bait is different, since the words generally have little or nothing to do with the content.

M0REU, AF6LJ and K4AAQ like this.
  14. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Typical FAKE news, forgot to add some pollsters into mix so you can blame them when the outcome contradicts what main stream media has been dribbling about.

15. AF6LJ

You have a good informative program, don't sweat the malcontents.

M0REU likes this.