ad: Radclub22-1

HamRadioNow: Field Day Tour

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Jul 12, 2017.

ad: abrind-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

2017 Field Day TOUR POSTER Karl & Gary 250.jpg
    Gary joined NC Section Manager Karl Bowman W4CHX for a tour of 10 Field Day operations in western North Carolina. In between the site visits, they operated as 1C mobile.

This show is basically a video documentary... a television show. So how much can you get from just the audio? Well, maybe more than you (we?) think. Theater of the mind? We were going to ding this show with a really low Radio Rating because of how long it too to edit the video, but after listening to a lot of it, you know, it's not such a bad radio show. So the Radio Rating is B-. Couldn't see our way clear to a solid B.

KD5BVX and N5OCO like this.
  2. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Gary,
    Thanks for doing the trip it was good to see some Field Stations not the funny club room / Condo club stations or holiday places,
    Thanks, Pieter , ZL1PDT in New Zealand

K4AAQ likes this.
  3. KC9UDA

KC9UDA Ham Member QRZ Page

You are still a fake

KT5OT likes this.
  4. K4AAQ

A fake what?

K4LZA, KT5OT, KD5BVX and 1 other person like this.
  5. W4TSH

W4TSH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Get job Gary, I always enjoy your topics, you do a Great job, If you ever need to use a Drone I can help you out ! 73 W4TSH

K4AAQ and KY5U like this.
  6. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job, Gary. Another good video. Don't listen to all the haters on QRZ, sadly there are lots of them. I guess they get tired of the Home Shopping Network, and come over here.

K4AAQ likes this.
  7. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yes hes good buddies with kc5hwb,the ham radio beggar deluxe! they both need a gofundme page for a real job!

8. N4API

N4API Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. The short segments on each club during field day was great ! Thanks for the video.

K4AAQ likes this.
  9. K4AAQ

I wonder what your real problem is, John? It's not with soliciting contributions. That, as they say in fake news, is a nothingburger. If you're going to bother to hit the keyboard here on QRZ.com, why not get to the point?

I'll make my point: the way I see it, you and Tom are just trolls. The best you can do is take a drive-by pot shot without making any real contribution. Hopefully you're more useful in other aspects of your lives.

I don't think you understand the purpose of gofundme, either. It's not to get a job. It's to ask for money. So your statement is self-contradictory. Anyway, Jason and I both have PayPal and Patreon accounts for viewers to contribute to our shows. The principle is similar to gofundme, so that would be redundant. I've also run some KICKSTARTRS to fund specific series (the TAPR DCC videos). Most of those have been successful, a few have not.

The nice thing about doing it this way is viewers can see the show for free, then decide if they want to help us make more. It's a reasonably effective way to do business. Jason has some advertising, but at our level, he can't charge enough for ads to pay all the expenses, much less make a living. I've decided to avoid ads altogether except as KICKSTARTER rewards. I have a very loyal group of supporters, some of whom contribute $100 a year or more, while most are in the $10-20 range. There just aren't enough of them.

Over the years, with the experience of my show and others, I've reached the conclusion that ham radio is too small a pond to support anything more than 'hobby' media production. QST and CQ are the only media businesses making a go of it (which I'll define as providing full-time jobs paying real salaries). And both of those come with qualifications. QST isn't a standalone publication. CQ is, and it's been very successful in the past, but is struggling now. But what we call New Media, the podcasts and YouTube videos, don't support anyone full time. Some, like AmateurLogic, are doing OK, but it's still an "expenses+" operation. I'm retired, not wealthy, and contributions to my show allow me to keep it going (apparently to your dismay). The others are in a similar situation, at best.

I had hoped that ham radio could support some higher quality television, especially once both the creation tools (cameras, editing software), and distribution channels (YouTube and others) became affordable by individuals. That didn't happen. Even the ARRL has only dipped a toe into new media.

CQ
    took a big gamble in the early 90's and produced a series of programs that they released on VHS (pre-DVD days). That was when that kind of production was very expensive, but you'll notice that they haven't attempted to do it again.

Hams do support DXpedition videos, though barely above the hobby level. One of the two top producers, James Brooks 9V1YC, owns a video production company, so his DX videos are probably mostly a gift. The other, Bob Allphin K4UEE, hired me to edit the K1N Navassa DXpedition video, and hired other pros to produce his previous programs. He paid me reasonably well, but a lot less than it would have cost him to have a standard production house do it. So that's why I say 'barely above' hobby level. And that's the best we can do, apparently.

So, John, you can sit back and take your pot shot at the hams who have taken it on themselves to produce media for our hobby. We put ourselves out there, and criticism comes with the territory. But I'm mostly still waiting for real, critical reviews of my show or any of the others. There have been a very few, and I appreciate them. I've given honest (not fawning, not glowing) reviews of a few other productions.

But mostly we get your kind of drive-by snark. Without enough effort behind it to even think.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    M0REU and K4LZA like this.
  10. 4L5P

4L5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Я хочу быть везде, радиолюбительское радио 4L5P