ad: Retevis-1

HamRadioNow: Eclipsing ARES

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Aug 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While, on the other hand, I know of ham radio operators who are geared up and ready to head to that area as soon as they are able - they are with disaster relief teams but use ham radio to communicate among themselves as well as to communicate with residents affected by the storms. They do it all the time.

And, also, your above quote didn't provide enough information - this ham radio operator had properly planned back-up power or was relying on the power grid to power their station??? If the latter, that is poor planning on their part and of course their radio wouldn't work with the power grid down; a ham radio operator should know better. Again, not near enough information to use that to prove any sort of point either way.

To claim ham radio is dead in any sort of emergency - which is what you seem to attempt to imply - is laughable at best... ;)

Properly planned and properly deployed, ham radio can and does provide vital communications in times of crisis and I know, for a fact, it will be used in the coming weeks in Texas because I know some who will be using it. It's a great tool to have, whether just for fun or for a disaster situation such as a hurricane.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dumb criticism, without any basis. You can seek out the story the same way I can. I am not taking it out of context.

The point was clearly made in the story: ham radio is NOT "when all else fails" for this situation in Corpus Christi.

Again, to make sure the point is properly addressed:

"In the dark, internet out, ham radio not working. Is anybody out there? Alone trying not to be scared," Donna McClure in Corpus Christi said on Twitter as the storm made landfall.

Clearly caution should be exercised for the 'prepper' component of newer hams, who either do not know how to properly use, or have not trained for, ham radio communication in a disaster. Certainly 'when all else fails--ham radio' is contraindicated in this example.

To debate otherwise is to go against the fact.

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the ARRL does a dis-service with this "When all else fails" mantra. It implies that there is some special sauce, some unique factor about ham radio that makes it more resilient than other forms of communications.

It's not.

The same things that disrupt LMR systems used by public safety agencies affect ham radio users. Power loss, flooding, antenna/feedline/structure failure, etc., will take you off the air.

People can make the difference, not technology. People volunteering to help in whatever capacity is what helps - not an orange vest and an HT.

The irony about the tweet made from the disaster area is that it's a tweet. That message made it out.

W1YW likes this.
  4. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Except there are hundreds of Amateur Radio Operators, who have been properly trained, serving the Red Cross, Salvation Army, the various Counties, local Cities and other agencies with operating Amateur Radio's actually helping people. 1 untrained person does not invalidate all of this unsung hard work. Its not sensational news, so the media ignore it.

KD5BVX likes this.
  5. KB1PA

a wet behind the ears newbie technician who probably couldn't figure out how her brand new baofang works, or what the PTT switch does. According to QRZ, she got licensed Aug 2 (24 days ago) as KD4BAB.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree. This example is symptomatic of a generous portion of 'newbies', who view a Tech license as a ticket to getting an HT, which they can stow away in their 'prepper' box, along with MRE's, water, LED flashlights, and a hand-crank BC radio-- without making connections with the larger ham community, and in failing to do so, are clueless in real emergencies.

This is a FAILURE on the ARS and denying the issues doesn't solve it.

Sure, there are lots of unselfish, well-prepared hams. But you shouldn't sweep this issue on the rug.

Chip W1YW

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

"When All ELse Fails..."

-->TWITTER

8. KB1PA

no
    Not sweeping anything under the rug. I am running into brick walls trying to get local groups to offer something "post test" that will orient new hams on what the many parts of being an amateur radio operator is about. There will always be "prepper" types. We all need to work harder to find the 1 or 2 individuals from these new hams and turn them on to the fascinating world of radio, and from there, who knows. Maybe find someone who can invent the successor to fractal antennas :):)
    or multidimension amateur radio?

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm fairly certain those people won't need your help -- they will be self-motivating. ;)

10. KB1PA

I never said "my help" I said "we all". What many are doing is scaring these potential hams away.

I've been to some maker events. The energy at these gatherings is the same energy that I used to feel at Hamfests. Most of the recent hamfests I have been to have no buzz, and mostly "same old junk, just a different venue", and so few in attendance I wonder how much longer many events will survive. And the age difference is frightening. The makers average mid to late 20s, the hamfests average is late 60's to late 70's.

WE need to be more welcoming and more encouraging. And WE need to rediscover the curiosity we had that motivated us to get our licenses and get more active.

11. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The same assertion is true, even in the first person plural.

Here's a shock: ham radio can't compete with the maker movement. It has been largely replaced by it. Technology has moved on. The bands that are desirable these days don't even require a license. I sat down for coffee with an EE a few evenings ago and he described several commercial unlicensed low-power networks he had set up recently in the ISM bands. The bands that the Technician licensees have these days are prime real estate, and all the amateurs can do is argue about more HF digimode space. They are so totally missing the point. The world moved on, and they are stuck in the 1960's. If hams had any desire to be modern, the VHF+ privileges would be the highest class privileges and the most desirable.

Amateur radio is now a small part of the maker movement, and it needs to be satisfied with that. Every attempt it makes to regain the "glory days" will just make things worse. Trying to recruit kids into a hobby that requires thousands of dollars in equipment just to reach a few old men, when their smartphone can do the same thing for free, is just not a viable strategy. Ham radio is now for for people who are specifically interested in high-power RF systems, ionospheric study, long-distance infrastructure-free communication, etc. But for people who just want to tinker with low-power communications tech, a ham license is not only no longer required, it isn't even desirable. And that's not a bad thing.