ad: k1jek

HamRadioNow 459: (Almost) in the Zoom Where it Happened

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Jan 16, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HamRadioNow 459:
    (Almost) in the Zoom Where it Happened

The Amateur Radio Emergency Preparedness Act (don’t call it ‘Parity Act 2.0') is about to be introduced in the new Congress. What is it? How did we get here? Where will it go and how will it get there?

John Robert Stratton N5AUS and Fred Hopengarten K1VR are two members of the ARRL Legislative Advocacy Committee that drafted the bill from the ashes of the Parity Act, starting in 2019. They joined us on HamRadioNow to talk about the Bill and answer those questions.

They found a sponsor in Congressman Bill Johnson (R-OH), and worked with his staff to refine the language of the Bill (it didn’t need much). It was introduced at the end of the previous Congress just last December so the Committee could start rounding up co-sponsors. Sometime soon after the new Congress gets itself organized, the Bill will be reintroduced. And then begins the process that any Bill faces to work its way though Subcommittees, the full Committee (House Energy and Commerce), the House, and then the Senate. We have two years to get it done. The clock is ticking.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    KD5BVX likes this.
  2. K4AAQ

I just completed a set of time-code links to all the points made in this discussion. You'll find them in the Description section on YouTube on most devices. I don't see them on my Roku/Big Screen TV, but I do find them on my computer and on my phone. That should help navigating this longish discussion.

3. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the information.

K4AAQ likes this.
  4. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I know now a couple of Lawyers now that for about 2 grand or less will be a legal counsel for a ham operator.
    To me anyway this seemed like a Lawyer promo commercial.

5. K4AAQ

Yeah, they're was about 2 minutes of that. And you learned something from it.

And it was $2500.

So not a total waste of your time.