ad: CQMM-1

HamRadioNow 439: It's Not CW (It's Morse code)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Aug 29, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N9SWR

N9SWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Regardless of the idiots at the FCC, you operate a radio in CW mode. Morse Code is the "language" used when operating the radio using Continuous Wave mode.

K8NY likes this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is not a worthy amateur radio topic. Any ham worth their salt knows what Continuous Wave On Off Keying is. CW is the mode, and Morse is the code ordinarily used by amateur radio operators. Many other codes could be used that rely on switching a carrier wave on and off.

This is just some attention whore on youtube looking for a few hits from ex CBers who just passed their extra class liscense and have no idea what the difference between CW and Morse code is.

K8NY likes this.
  3. K3CRM

K3CRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Call it what you like but we need more operators who can communicate with it. If not, then it's a waste of a huge chunk of our allocation. Use it or lose it.

4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can agree with "use it or lose it" but I fail to see how we need more people trained in Morse code to use the allocated RF spectrum.

5. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

I do believe that's the shortest post you've ever written. Well done. Thank you.

6. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

CW, Morses' code, beeping, whatever..... we are not PhDs in English, we barely can speak, thinking is a stretch.... We share our interest in ...R....F..!!.... That is what it is about, but yes, actually good, but not exactly profound point. 'Morse' is the technique, 'CW' is the mode we USE that technique with. They have become synonymous for those of us who share this activity..... So we can keep it that way as an endearing reminder of our brotherhood... Like, 'HI HI', or 'Destinated here' and the 5 minuet long '73 monologue' or the really weird 'dit dit' to end a QSO.....

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Evidently Gary took a bit of offense. Sorry OM, I just call them as I see them.

KE0GXN likes this.
  8. W0DHG

W0DHG Ham Member QRZ Page

So, FYI: WE DONT MAKE ANY CLICK $$$... And your welcome to spin the dial and go elsewhere....

KL7KN likes this.
  9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I did - I rarely, if every watch UTOOB videos, especially talking heads, posted on the Zed that do not have accompanying text that would give me a reason to watch

Just the same - Thanks for getting back to me on this - yours would be one of very few channels that do not.

I did find this interesting
    "My conclusion is that Ham Radio isn't a big enough video market... for me, and apparently anyone who wants to make it more than a 'pays expenses' hobby-business (or pure hobby). I cut back the effort of making most HamRadioNow shows to a few hours of recording and minimal editing (talking-head shows), and that cut the audience down to between one and three thousand for most shows. That's actually pretty good for most 'vanity' podcasts, but not good enough to keep me in the game."
    (Qlog — HamRadioNow)

A very interesting set of posts.

KE0GXN likes this.
  10. PC1JB

PC1JB Ham Member QRZ Page

[slams a ham on the counter] ;)

G5WCW likes this.
  11. K8NY

K8NY Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally, a sane statement of fact. Thank you.

12. N0MJP

N0MJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Every ham Sqeezes a Key ... whether it be telegraphic or a microphone key . Or even when using a devise to Key up a rig .

ITAL7 likes this.
  13. N7TIN

N7TIN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And y'all thought that a "Ham on Rye" was just a sandwich!

14. N3PZZ

N3PZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't step into this cow pie.

15. AB9NN

AB9NN Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to listen for over 20 minutes before you got to the subject matter of the subject advertised for the video. UNLIKE!!!!
    73 de AB9NN

KA4DPO likes this.