Hammarlund HX-500 Power Supply

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K8BHS, Jun 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K8BHS

K8BHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Shortly after Hammarlund came out with the HX-500 they sent out a factory authorized upgrade for the power supply which required a new power transformer. Does anyone have the specs for this transformer? I believe the part number is 42351-4. Heyboer Transformers says they can build me a new one if I can provide the specs. I also heard that the transformer in the HX-50A may be the same. Can anyone confirm this? If so I do have the specs for it.

Thanks and 73
    DE K8BHS

2. WB3JIH

WB3JIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi -

I've got both a HX-50A and a HX-500. The 500 has been through the factory update (which reversed the USB/LSB setting on the function switch.) Unfortunately, I have a 5V filament short to the HV winding in mine, and the B+ winding is messed up too. If you found a replacement source for it, I'd be interested as well. I'm able to run mine with diodes instead of the tube rectifiers, but definitely would like to look at transformer replacement.

I could take some voltage readings out of the HX-50A if that would help...

Jeff
    WB3JIH

3. W1NB

W1NB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like Hammond made or make a replacement. See specs and model number below.

13167917-BADD-4D14-A26B-B777C1726C1C.png 33D863A4-082E-43AE-BF63-65B142722A9B.png

WB3JIH and KP4SX like this.
  4. K8CCA

K8CCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Pete, K7PP, just released a youtube video about one of these transmitters the other day. I watched it last night and had never even heard of this transmitter before. I guess they are quite rare, and look pretty cool, to me at least. Good luck with the project. I would love to follow along if you where to post pics here on QRZ.

5. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I let one slip through my fingers just last year. I've been kicking myself every time I think about it. It was a fairly unusual electrical design and seemed more in line with Hammarlund's receiver philosophy. My understanding is that only about 250 were made.

[​IMG]

6. WB3JIH

WB3JIH Ham Member QRZ Page

That a good way way describe it...

That middle meter isn't "stock." Like the HT-32s, you just tuned it for maximum power, and hoped for the best... :-D

The accessory port on the back had two pins to which you could hook a meter; I ended up just putting one next to the rig.

You're right though -- it is definitely built like one of their receivers -- you can see the DNA in it. I haven't fired mine up in a while because of the weak transformer, but this thread has perhaps motivated me to get a replacement and put it back into service. It is HEAVY is all!

[​IMG]

7. K8BHS

K8BHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply but this is the specs for the original transformer and not the upgraded one. As a last resort I may have to go back to this.