ad: w5yi

Hammarlund hq 145 help

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by RAYSUNCLOUDS, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. RAYSUNCLOUDS

RAYSUNCLOUDS QRZ Member

I've had this radio 1 year,listen on 80m and 40m.Was a ham wd8cyx in 1970's.The hf band 10-30 MHz is dead. Any thoughts on how to start checking it out? Thinking about buying a tube set for starters.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Try replacing V-9 the tunable oscillator tube. This is a 6C4. This tube is well known for causing problems in the Hammarlund receivers. Unfortunately, a lot of 6C4 tubes are problematic even when brand new.

Glen, K9STH

N2EY likes this.
  3. RAYSUNCLOUDS

RAYSUNCLOUDS QRZ Member

Thanks,Glen. I bought this hamm hq 145 about 1 yr. ago, and usually listen on 80&40m ,I keep hearing about 20m improving, but on the 10-30m band no background noise, just some popping here and there. 1.6m-10meter are strong.When I had my liscence 1970s,I built a hw101 and liked it, but this Hammarlund is pure luxury compared to the heath. Also now I have room for a good antenna, I strung an 80 meter half square and it is just amazing. I the city with the hw101 I just strung wire in my attic. Poor sig, the only people who called me back were a couple of Christian nets. Anyway I will follow up on any suggestions I hear.73,Ray.

4. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should read the manual. This radio uses dual conversion on the bands above 10 MHz, so it sounds like your problem is there. The radio has a crystal used for the second conversion and it may be the problem or the bandswitch may be giving you trouble. In general, crystals can fail, but rarely do.

Norm

1.jpg

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you don't have the manual, I have an excellent PDF of this. E-Mail me at

k9sth (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

and I can forward the manual to you.

Glen, K9STH

KE4OH and N2EY like this.