Hammarlund HQ-129X

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K1SZO, Jul 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all,

I'm looking at picking up a Hammarlung HQ-129X and the gentlemen who is letting it go noted that it's very heavy and would likely require two people to remove it.

I'm not longer a spring chicken, but I'm also still quite capable. Of course that is assuming it's a weight I can handle, but the issue is. I have no idea how heavy a Hammarlung HQ-129X actually weights.

The best I could find searching on the web was approximately 50lbs. Can someone verify that that is about what it weights?

Dave

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not listed in -129 manual. Not listed in HQ-120/Navy RBG (predecessor) manuals.

Navy RBG data plate says "63 lbs".

It's a featherweight compared to a Halli SX-28, EFJ Viking II or Collins-Navy TCS/ART-13 :)

KI4AX and K1SZO like this.
  3. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am seeing most sites say 47 lbs. and others at 60 lbs. I think the lighter weight is closer. I don't see any handles on the cabinet like the HQ-140, so carrying will be awkward. I often use something to roll the heavy rigs around. Office chairs or the cheap dollies from Harbor Freight (about $9).

Good luck,
    Ed WA4NJY
    Bradenton, Fl

K1SZO likes this.
  4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Brand's book lists the HQ-129X at 52-pounds and the manual does not give any weight.

There are louvers on both sides that give some support for handling but no handles or cutouts. Frankly, the HQ-129X is about average for receivers of that vintage where weight is concerned.

Glen, K9STH

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Weighs just about the same as any of the old boxy boat-anchor receivers. If you can lift ANY of them, you'll be fine.

Now a Heathkit DX-100 or Henry 2K ... that's a different story :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  6. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, and a surprisingly nice receiver. This old example isn't anything in the looks department,and is missing some of it's original knobs, but its fun to use and works well.

[​IMG]

N2EY likes this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

It uses a strange choice of tubes that limit sensitivity on Band 6 but plug in swaps are available.

That radio is also notorious for all leaky electrolytics, paper caps and many way out of tolerance resistors. Dont forget to look under the BFO shield cover. If the caps are not all addressed then shorted transformers and chokes are the norm.

A plus is that it is an easy radio to work on. NEVER spray DeOxit on the bandswitch contacts, use only the full strength D-100 and needle dispenser and/or toothpick or similar. Rotate the knob many times to break thru the oxidation

I got my first 129X in 1956 as a Novice and have had another here for a few decades now, one of the best vintage era BCB DXing radios made. They came with at least two different front panels and paint colors during their 1946-53 production.

Carl

W7UUU likes this.
  8. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's closer to the 50 range in pounds.. not super heavy.. pretty average I suppose. I have one, but I really need to get in there and replace some caps before firing it up again. Nice receiver.. the one I had came from an SK club member. I had borrowed it for a while when I was just getting started with using boat anchors. I was happy to be able to get it when his wife was selling his radio gear. I always loved the looks of this receiver and liked the mercury vapor tube in it.

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's no mercury-vapor tube in an HQ-129X. The rectifier is a 5U4G, which is a high vacuum type.

The 0C3 regulator used in the HQ-129X is a cold-cathode gas "glow" VR tube. No mercury vapor, just a mixture of gases such as neon and argon.

73 de Jim, N2EY

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The 5U4 can look sorta pretty when it is arcing internally from an overload due to bad caps. The smell of a fried choke/transformer will remain with you for decades.

They are a pretty receiver to my eye and I have a HQ-120X, 129X, 140X. 140XA, 145, 150, 160, 180 with factory noise silencer, and 200. Plus a WW2 RBG-2 which is closer to what the 129 should have been for tube lineup. Also a SP-100X, SP-400X, BC-779, BC-794, and BC-1004 of the civilian and WW2 Super Pros.....at least the power supplies were external and the military version is a real weight hog.

Carl

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019