ad: Radclub22-1

HAMCOM 2015 - No Tailgating!

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by N5SKE, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5CPT

W5CPT Ham Member QRZ Page

I started as a ham 24 years ago in New England where they had 3 big fests a year - two Deerfield (later Deerchester) one in the spring and one in the fall and the big ARRL convention, one year in Mass and the next in NH. I then moved to the DFW area where we had HamCom. Admittedly, I did not get to see a lot of it as I worked for a local vendor and spent my time behind the table. I then moved home in west Kentucky where the nearest decent sized fest is Huntsville AL - a four hour drive. We do have a few small fests around and I looked into what it takes to put a fest on, as Paducah had one for a few years running. I spoke to one of the fellows who organized the Paducah fests and the horror stories he told put me off ever getting involved with running a fest. From finding a venue that suits everyone's preferences, is affordable, does not have neighbors who are likely to pitch a fit when BBQ smoke drifts over from the Flea-Market, and all the other qualifications that come up - to finding a date that does not interfere with spring break, summer break, fall break and every other activity that will keep hams away because they are tending to the wants and needs of their families. And the list goes on and on.

My point is that the Ham Fests that do get put on are done so because of a great deal of work, time sacrificed and tremendous dedication to making it happen. I appreciate all that those who do put forth the effort sometimes only to hear how horrible the ham fest was and how it could have been made better. If you really feel that you can make a positive difference in the running of a ham fest, join the organization doing the work and volunteer your time to do so.

Clint - W5CPT -

2. N2VIP

N2VIP Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, the city of Irving, where this event will be held, does not allow 'tailgating' - that is why the recently held Irving Amateur Radio Club had to police the parking lot to make sure no one broke the law. Our March Hamfest had $4 admission and $10 tables. We had a lot of individual 'indoor' tailgaters, more than half our 70-some tables were sold to individuals.

Second, the Ham-Com folks are investing/risking a huge amount of money to secure a spacious, indoor space for their Hamfest. To compare this to a flea market is just plain wrong.

The recent Irving Hamfest turned 50% of gross receipts into nice door prizes - Hamfests aren't about them money, and every club runs their event for profit.

3. N2VIP

N2VIP Ham Member QRZ Page

Should read "...not every club runs their's for profit."

BTW I ran this year's Irving Hamfest, it is a 'non-trivial' undertaking with just 70 tables and around 400 paid attendees.

4. NS5F

NS5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Bruce, every hamfest tailgate sale I've participated in since 1970 has charged a small fee..So I'm not sure where you are getting your information.
    In regards to Hamcom, they felt they needed to make the change. I myself don't like it, but then again I don't have to go. It will just make Belton, Cowtown and other less national oriented events more popular.

5. W5FEA

W5FEA Ham Member QRZ Page

You might try contacting N5MIJ with HamCom. His email address is n5mij@k5tit.org. Having indicated I was not pleased with the changes I had heard about Jim Called me and explained lots of things. Aside from the fact the vendors numbers are already double what they were in Plano and the swap meet numbers are also double what they were in Plano there's a lot negative being said about the Irving Conv. Center location.
    The parking garage won't allow anything over 7 feet tall inside, so if you park there at $5 per entry, you will likely have to take off your antenna or tie it down somehow, HOWEVER there will be parking in the fields south and perhaps southwest of the center, it it will also cost $5 to park there, but the distance to the center, they say, is less than it was from the parking area out in the field to the North north West in Plano. Unfortunately there's no free parking. No "tailgating" outside, but there are to be "eight" doorways on the north side of the convention center through which you can get your stuff INSIDE. It is my understanding there's no cost difference between Plano and Irving, at least this year.
    Jim also said there is a place on the second floor of the Conv. Center for general gatherings, which was of interest to our 7208 group and likely to other groups that meet at HamCom. The various meetings are limited to Saturday only this year but there are double the number of rooms in which to have meetings. Frankly I was ready to send an e-mail indicating I would not be attending HamCom this year, price for which is the same as last year, but have changed my mind. Probably the worst of it all is the east/west roadway I would have to cross to walk to the convention center, but in my case I can take my Hamstick off the car and lay down my 2 meter 5/8 wave antenna and won't have to worry about the street. Thank you for calling me Jim....and by the way it's my understanding HamCom was not given the option to stay Plano.....rotten deal.

6. AC9EX

AC9EX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very well put Clint, A lot of time and effort are put forth by the few so the many can attend these events, I have been involved with a few non ham events and the work involved is quite time consuming. My hat is off to all that take their time to plan and put on such events so we the masses can attend and maybe get a few valuable trinkets! THANK YOU!
    Todd
    AC9EX

7. NS5F

NS5F Ham Member QRZ Page

You made very good points...Again Hamcom seems more of a national demonstration event for vendors rather than the "traditional" hamfest flea-market and that is fine.
    We need an event like that for those who are in the market for new items and wish to put "hands-on". I am not in that market but I have no axe to grind with the change at all and as I had mentioned previously, at worst it will increase the attendance of events that are more of the less new equipment marketing and more traditional Hamfest type complete with tailgate type flea-markets and all the other items I, and note I said "I" look for. While I am disappointed in the change I understand Hamcoms market and I wish Hamcom the absolute best of luck. It's good that it is there for those who want that type of event. It's still a "win-win" for those who have an interest in seeing new gear first hand. 73 de NS5F

8. K5LXP

K5LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been regularly going to Hamcom since the late 90's when it was still at the Arlington Convention Center. I recall hearing some guy on a repeater there kvetching about having to drive "all that way" (from somewhere in the DFW area) and then pay SIX BUCKS to park. Just shows you can't please some people. The class of event the Hamcom folks put on and continues to put on is what brings me (and a few friends) all the way from Albuquerque every year much less across DFW, and I would gladly pay $6 to park if that means having a great venue. The LAST thing most people want is to drive any distance to roast or get soaked in a parking lot selling/looking at junk. Yes, an indoor $30 table plus admissions probably isn't worth selling a few small items. So go in with a few other guys to bring more, and share the table manning duties. Maybe get your club to buy a table and have a group space for members to sell things. Maybe use that admission to go to a few forums and expand your horizons a bit. There's more to a hamfest than sitting around trying to unload a moldy heathkit and a 486 laptop.

When I started going to Hamcom it was good and I've only seen it get better over the years. The move to Irving can only be seen as a good thing. Kudos to the organizers, and looking forward to coming in a few weeks.

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like the plan -- looking forward to the new location. This will be twice as close to me -- no 65-mile trip one way on the toll road. Should pull in more folks who are farther west, and didn't want to go previously. Hopefully the fact everyone will be indoors, other than the trek to / from the car, will reduce the BO level to bearable. The only sucky thing is no crashing the breakfast feast at Poor Richard's and no quick jaunt to HRO after the event.

10. AD5WO

AD5WO Ham Member QRZ Page

The tailgaters were my favorite part of Hamcom, I will not attend Hamcom this year, I'll just save my money for a hamfest with a tailgate section!

11. K5BIZ

K5BIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

ME TOO! I won't be coming back. Tailgate area is where the bargains are! Last year, How many folks came early to the tailgate area to buy stuff and then move it inside for a quick 200% markup. People inside know EXACTLY what everything's worth and they are trying to get eBay prices without paying the eBay/PayPal fees. As far as commercial venders, their "show price" is 10% off their MFR's List Price, in other words, their regular store prices.

Last year at the HamCom tailgate I got a Fluke 77 VOM for $25. A Shure 450 mic for $2 (works great too). A McElroy P500 bug for $20 that only need a weight. Vibroplex Blue Racer and case for $10. Meter probe set for $2. and... I needed to make some plexiglass insulators for some dipoles and I found a whole box that someone made made.... for free. I scarf the whole box and saved hours cutting and drilling.

I went inside several times and except for the same stuff that's now 200% overpriced, I saw nothing worth getting. As for the commercial stuff, I can order it through their website and get it without the added Hamcom ticket/parking cost and Texas sales tax by just waiting a few days to get it.

The other added benefit to a tailgate is the ability to see some really weird folks in complete safety. Who's the guy in the full Scottish Kilt playing the bagpipes last year? He did a great job!... but I bet he won't be coming back this year to play inside.

Well, there's always GAINSVILLE...

12. KC5COF

KC5COF Ham Member QRZ Page

From the Hamcom webpage:

"Registration Results
    We had a few people who said our move to Irving would be the end of us. We'll we would like counter that statement with this fact. Ham-Com 2015 pre-registration totals are in and our numbers are up not 10, 20, or 30 percent but over 40%. It's going to be a great convention! "

So far not seeing a negative effect of the move.... I am sure there will be hiccups with the new venue but I am sure they will be ironed out quickly. And as for the outdoor tailgating... I would always just do a quick scan due to the heat and head back inside... so not really missing anything with it being gone.

Chris
    KC5COF

13. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

http://www.hamcom.org/

Registration Results
    We had a few people who said our move to Irving would be the end of us. We'll we would like counter that statement with this fact.
    Ham-Com 2015 pre-registration totals are in and our numbers are up not 10, 20, or 30 percent but over 40%. It's going to be a great convention!

14. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hack, cough. I feel a <snort> cold coming on. Hack. I think I might be too <sniff> sick to work Friday.:p

15. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember when there was monthly electronics sale under some freeways in Dallas. It evolved to a full blown festival that took up a couple of blocks. We gladly drove there from Louisiana, but now I am not so sure. Also, guys in the DFW metro, don't complain about drive time. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.