Hamcall Database Still Used?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7FIU, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

The "hamcall.net" page -- http://hamcall.net/call
    says it's the world's largest QSL database with almost 10 million callsigns.

I'm a newer ham--and I've not seen/heard much about hamcall -- most folks seem to be using QRZ.com.

Is "hamcall" still the largest database, or is this information a bit out-of-date now?

-john

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to say it...

Size doesn't matter. Or, in the immortal words of the Sheriff of Rotingham, "it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it!"

Hamcall may have more calls listed in their database table. Or they may not. Who knows?

3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me check the math...
    107 lookups there,
    7,514 lookups here on da ZED.
    It just kinda indicates which gets used more!
    Only in rare occasions have I looked elsewhere for a DX call. Even more rare is actually finding the info somewhere else and not here.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

LOL!! There? I have 33 lookups - here? 9970 :)

No, I don't think Hamcall is very relevant anymore....

Dave
    W7UUU

5. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

9971, I just looked you up. lol..

6. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

They are getting their information from qrz.com. I made an update here and the same thing showed up there a few days later. Is that ethical?

7. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would anyone go any where else but QRZ?
    Me 28000 lookups here, 262 on "Hamcall."

8. N8XE

N8XE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm gaining on ya!!! 9743 lookups... :)

QRZ seems to be the standard lookup database today. Many log programs have QRZ lookups built in by default. With QRZ's XML product (which is what I subscribe to) it is easy to integrate automatic lookups.

Since I am pretty active on the air (both contesting and not) I am sure those lookups are from logging programs. Now your lookups Burt may be for other reasons ;)

However, a quick script and I may be able to catch up!

Jason N8XE

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamcall.net can be very handy for looking up historic call signs. They have a searchable database for 1921, 1954, 1960, 1969, 1983, and 1995-present. QRZ has only current and 1993. As far as I know, they're the only online databases for old licenses.

10. N8XE

N8XE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did not know they had that. I went to their database to see how to do that and can't find out how to see who used my callsign before? I actually have QSL cards sent to me for contacts made in the late 70s. AFAIK, the previous holder was an active CW and she participated in traffic nets a bunch.

Jason N8XE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.