ad: elecraft

HamBlog.Com

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N5PVL, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

For us Non-Computer Geeks what is a "BLOG" ? Is it required to operate a transmitter on the air ?
    [​IMG]

3. N5PVL

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For us Non-Computer Geeks what is a &quot;BLOG&quot; ? Is it required to operate a transmitter on the air ?
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Gotcha.  You commented without looking at the web-site first. There is a definition on the main page, along with a link to a Blog FAQ that I'm sure you would have noticed, had you been there.

To answer your question, the Blogs are not required for transmitter operation at all, though there are circumstances where posting, reading, or even commenting on a Weblog could enhance your on-the-air experience. - Let's say you heard about a tip on getting better performance out of your equipment in one of the weblogs, for example, then used that info to have more fun on the air.

HamBlog is a Weblog host who caters exclusively to Hams. - You can go there to read and perhaps comment on what hams have to say at HamBlog, or you can register there, and arrainge to run a HamBlog of your own.

The only thing special about HamBlog is that it is for Hams. - Which is special enough for us!

HamBlogCom
    info@hamblog.com
    http://www.hamblog.com

4. N5PVL

[​IMG]

The big problem with the idea of HamBlog is that the Hams are so shy and unopinionated. - How could we ever convince one of them to speak up and express themselves?

[​IMG]

HamBlogCom

5. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

TNX for the explanation of a BLOG, and yes you are correct if I am reading the forum I don't go skipping around the Internet picking up bits and pieces here and there,if the information can not be supplied with the forum post then I simply ignore it,but tnx anyway.
    What about those who choose to maintain separation between the Internet and Ham Radio,since they are not one and the same or really connected except for sharing a common name of communications medium.Contrary to the thoughts of the ARRL, one of the last places I would post my operating log would be on the Internet.However this is the 21st Century and change is in the wind,just as the scent of a barnyard is carried by the breeze.
    Tnx for the info,one of the major benefits of Ham Radio is that learning is never a waste of time.     [​IMG]

6. N5PVL

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about those who choose to maintain separation between the Internet and Ham Radio,since they are not one and the same or really connected except for sharing a common name of communications medium.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

So far as we have been able to determine, there are no weblog hosts on the air to compete with. Weblogging is strictly an Internet phenomena.

Note that you come to QRZ.Com to participate in an Internet forum, another activity that you do not find on the air.

A weblog and station log are two different things of course, but in any case you do not do your station log with a radio... Most people use a pencil, pen, or perhaps some logging software, eh?

At HamBlog, we leave the opinionating to the hams who have requested blogspace, and to visitors who comment on the public blogs. It's the only way to be fair.

It seems to me that you have opinions and ideas about Ham Radio to express. Come by and browse around sometime. We'd be glad to have you at HamBlog.

HamBlogCom     [​IMG]

7. N5PVL

Seriously speaking, a &quot;blog&quot; is an online journal. They are highly individualistic and vary quite a bit in their content.

It's not our business to suggest what you should put in your weblog, as long as you keep it reasonably clean. It's a Ham Radio web-site after all, and we have hams of all ages.

Just as it is on the air, an occasional slip gets by, but dedicated bad behavior will bring one's peers down on you, and eventually the management if it is pushed too far.

At HamBlog, your weblog postings can be public, private among HamBlog members, or just plain private, where only you can see them.

They can also be &quot;drafts&quot; that are invisible until you decide to publish them.

Before you can request a Weblog, you must register with your callsign as the login name.

Once you have registered, a weblog page is soon assigned to your control. There is an administration page where you can set your preferences and post your weblogs, and a public display page to publish your weblog upon.

You can allow or disallow comments on a blog-by-blog basis, plus a number of other interesting options. Those options are there in order to allow you to personalize your weblog and it's presentation.

HamBlog.Com uses standard blogging software. The only thing that seperates HamBlog from other blog hosts is our name, and the fact that we host for ham radio operators exclusively. What makes HamBlog really special is who blogs there - Hams!

It's all free. We will have ads on the HamBlog home page, but notice there are no ads in any of the weblogs.

HamBlogCom

8. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to move my current LiveJournal blog. How do I get an account and what blogging features does your service offer?

Specifically:

What blogging software do you use or is your own code?

Does your blog code support the Blogger API so that I can use a blogging client?

Can visitors leave comments? Gotta have that.

What about providing an RSS feed?

9. N5PVL

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What blogging software do you use or is your own code?

Does your blog code support the Blogger API so that I can use a blogging client?

Can visitors leave comments? Gotta have that.

What about providing an RSS feed?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

By the the I got around to answering here, KB1JCY had already applied for and obtained a blog page at HamBlog.Com.

At the bottom of his page all of his questions shown here are answered, except the one about remote blogging software. In answer to that, I believe the answer is yes, but if you go to the software's home page you can find out for sure.

Charles, N5PVL

10. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

Poked around and found out that the site runs on b2evolution which next to LiveJournal is teh shiznat in blogging goodness. IIRC, I can use a blogging client that uses the Blogger API.

Info here:

http://b2evolution.net/about/features.html

11. N5PVL

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Poked around and found out that the site runs on b2evolution which next to LiveJournal is teh shiznat in blogging goodness.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I installed and tried out several blogging packages and b2evolution looked best. The other contender was pmachine, which is more expensive, more flexible, and more difficult to set up. In the end I went with b2evolution because the price was right, and it would do what I wanted with less setup... If I had had something more complex in mind, I would have gone with Pmachine.

But that's just me!

Charles Brabham,  N5PVL
    Administrator: HamBlog.Com
    http://hamblog.com
    admin@hamblog.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.