HAM weekend - Admire my restraint!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Apr 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

The whole "HAM" thing... and how it grew into a Pet Peeve. Hard to put a finger on. I can only speak for myself, so this is MY opinion. Many of us have had periods of activity and inactivity over the years. When I returned from one of my inactive times (mid-1990s), I noticed this widespread use of "HAM." At the same time, it seemed like the same people were using "QSL" to mean "yes" or "I agree." In the same package was calling your name your "personal."

Maybe this is before your time, but years ago, there was a very clever and entertaining article (in a 1956 issue of QST) called "Your Novice Accent." It poked a little fun at Novice-isms, but the goal was to help Novices understand how the more experienced ops do things, and maybe improve their operating skill and efficiency. The author recognized when you cram a bunch of NooBs in together, they pick up bad habits from each other. I'm sure many Novices read the article and took the suggestions to heart. Remember also, that was back before everyone was triggered and offended by absolutely everything. Nobody was terrified that the Novices would become "alienated." The article had some fun with Novice-isms, and talked about how to fix them. I think the HAM, personal, and QSL silliness grew out of the new raft of no-code techs who joined us (and we welcome them!) after 1992. These N00bs tended to congregate on the 2 meter repeaters, and like the Novices of old, learned bad habits from each other.

I'm NOT going to suggest this was because they were "all" ex-CBers and brought their operating practices with them from 11 meters. No need to go down that kind of road, and I'm not going to. Let's just say they were new licensees among many other new licensees. Leave it at that. But these were the HAM and QSL people I first recognized. Is there any LAW against saying HAM, or using QSL to mean "yes" or "I agree??" Actually, yes, there is!

Ha ha! Got ya. Of course there isn't. It's just part of the Nate Newbie Accent, something you should probably outgrow. Why? I don't know! But you probably should. If I were a newcomer in some environment or some culture, I'd want to lose my newbie "accent." I wouldn't WANT to be thought of as inexperienced. But this is just me. Welcome to my Pet Peeve. If you think it's all kinda stooopid, that's fine too. No skin off my butt. But I know there are plenty of us who have found this kind of thing grating. I'm just trying to put into words why that might be.

And if you feel you've wasted 15 minutes of your life that you'll never get back, I'll give you a full refund. Every penny.

Good day to YOU, sirs. I said good day!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  2. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, HELLS, yeah! That's the major malfunction of e-mail and texts. When I have something to say to or ask someone, I MUCH prefer to pick up the phone. With voice communication, your "tone" is much more evident, and the give-and-take is more real time. The printed word - including forum posts - does NOT allow for that.

The angry robot analogy is an excellent one, and I will be stealing that! :)

WD4ELG and N1VAU like this.
  3. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

I absolutely need to put "weird, cryptic, overly-sarcastic loony-toon" on my business cards.

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought you had, HERE :p

5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not wasted...Invested.

https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ifi/INF3700/v12/undervisningsmateriale/Is Google Making Us Stupid.pdf

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021