HAM weekend - Admire my restraint!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Apr 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's one of the best analogies in the grand and glorious history of analogies. Well done!

One the other hand, I often think of CQ mag as having one foot in the Good Buddy Band. Weren't CQ mag and 73 mag (SK) cousins at some point? Same publisher?

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dangit...lunch was over before I read this...coulda had some of that nice HAM from the Publix deli... :( :D

upload_2021-4-19_14-37-17.png

W3SY likes this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

REACT is to Ham Radio as the Cleverlys are to Pop Music. Fun to laugh at but hard to criticize.

W3SY, KA0HCP, WQ4G and 1 other person like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

That was... interesting. Definitely amusing. Certainly worthy of the old Dr. Dementor show. But the promos for the pay service before and after Celt distracted and somewhat spoiled the presentation.

K8XG likes this.
  5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just skipped those parts :)

6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Confabulation....Early warning sign of Dogzheimers....You're on the right track, though, close.....

Wayne Green, trouble-maker-in-chief at CQ and the entire Planet Earth, was a regular staff writer at CQ in the '50s. Before your time and
    my time [our time]. I have a few old copies of CQ from the 50s picked up at HAMfests ( "Collectors' Items!! Rare!! $5 each, 5 for 20 bucks!!...
    --"I'll give you a buck for two of my choosing..."
    "OH, alright."
    He would write 2 or three articles in an issue, looking for dough.

Some hams with inside knowledge might know; I'm just guessing. But I suspect Never Say Die was wished-dead by more than one of
    his magazine superiors.

Green absquatulated from CQ and set-up his own shop at 73, again only guessing, but probably plotting to exact revenge not only on QST/ARRL
    but his prior owner/boss at Cowan Publishing/CQ. That'a the kind of dude he was. Would have been banned at QRZ.com, and that takes quite a bit.

CQ did buy-out some 40's or 50's popular radio magazine--I'm not up on the history. I'm sure someone who's actually knowledgeable will
    sign-in here.

7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Me thinks H.R.H. Princess Clara would eat the HAM way before you would even realize it is missing. HAM is her royal highness's favorite snack and she prefers to be hand fed her HAM snacks cut into small pieces. Amazing Clara was an outdoor feral community cat just a few months ago but is now fully domesticated.:)
    [​IMG]

W3SY, W4NNF and W4IOA like this.
  8. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I want the old Steve back.

9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wayne Green who I met in person at Dayton's walking dead arena that was falling apart since I first started going there in the late 80s; but was FUN TO BE At...

W3SY likes this.
  10. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I had no idea cb was still around. I used to have a radio for it to visit with truckers traveling on interstate 40. I enjoyed that.
    That disappeared over time.
    When I asked how come? The answer was everyone keeps them turned down unless traffic stops then just to find out what the problem was they turn them up. When traffic moves again they turn them down. I put my cb stuff in the closet and took down the Antron. Need to sell all that I guess.

W3SY likes this.