HAM weekend - Admire my restraint!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Apr 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Over on The Facebook, people were talking about HAM day, or HAM week, or whatever. Most all the people posting didn't appear to be the same peeps who post here.

Anyhoo, there were people on there making reference to HAM, but I completely resisted any temptation to even COMMENT on that. Proud of me? Of course you are.

One guy was apparently a big time EMCOMM guy. Did I post any pictures of badges, vests, or hard hats? I did not. I like to keep the peace. He even posted a picture of a REACT sticker on his truck window. I'd HAVE to make some kind of wise acre comment about THAT, amirite?? I did not.

See, the OLD Steve would have posted something along the lines of "REACT, yah tain foar, channel master!" NEW Steve is a lot more laid back, and lets that stuff go. I did innocently ask "What's REACT?" I was surprised to learn it not strictly for CB anymore. It now has FRS, GMRS, and even... yep... HAM members. CUUUUE ESS ELL!!

I remember back when my brother got a CB rig in 1968. If you transmitted on Channel Niner, a "REACT Monitor" would key up and ask you if you needed help. Was like dialing 911. On the positive side, that was when you actually COULD get help on your CB rig. Too many knuckleheads on there now. Get a cellphone or die.

Also, as kids, we were terrified of REACT Monitors, because we thought they were the people who would come and get you if you did anything stupid on the raydiddio.

Hope everybody here had a swell HAM day. We're clear.

WD4ELG, N0TZU, K8BZ and 2 others like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see nothing wrong with REACT, and have never had any bad experiences with them going back to the early 70's. Including newer services like FRS, etc is logical and helpful to those users. At my last club in Maryland, the REACT folks would often bring their trailer/mobile station (with airconditioner) to Field Day so we could use it for 6m ops. A great respite from the heat!

Have a great HAM day, and pass the ham salad sandwiches please! :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    WD4ELG likes this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a HAM sitting in the freezer. We'll probably cook that up sometime in May. I'll call that day ham day.

K8PG, N3AWS, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  4. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Combine it with EGG day, and then you've got something! :)

K0UO, WQ4G and W4IOA like this.
  5. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Tater chips IN the sammich?? I'm likin' that. I'm likin' that a LOT.

Where in Maryland were you?

I'm sure the REACT boys are cool. Just as long as they don't get all crazy with the badges and hard hats (antenna on top) and other EMCOMM swag you see people running around with.

WD4ELG likes this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

You should try a Primanti Brother's sandwich.

'tater chips? Hah! Try steak fries!

WE4E likes this.
  7. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had chow, but that has me ready for Second Lunch. Gimme!

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Second lunch? You're a Hobbit? Who knew?

Well, the Primanti's on Airside is open. You get here (today) between the end of my lunch hour and end of shift, I'll buy.

9. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

REACT has had prominent ads in CQ magazine for quite some time now.

Kinda like advertising "Exotic Massage" at Baptist bean-supper Sunday get-togethers.

I take no position on any of this, only that Steve has my admiration. You are true inspiration, oh Wise One.

W4NNF likes this.
  10. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a great offer, but that's way over in PIXBURG! I'm working down here near the Bumtimore-Warshnin International Airport. Sounds scrumtious, though.

Looked you up as part of figuring out the travel for this chow procurement. Saw you were WN3VAW. That was you?? I think I knew you back in the old days. You kept that Johnny Novice call long after upgrading, right? Small world.

W0AZ likes this.