ad: elecraft

Ham Talk Live! Episode 78 - The Latest Changes at WWV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Aug 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This week on Ham Talk Live!, WWV Chief Engineer Matt Deutch, N0RGT joins us to tell us about some of the latest changes happening at WWV! So if you have the time, listen in about the station that's all time... all the time! That's at 9 pm Eastern time on Thursday night at hamtalklive.com.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button! If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand 24/7/365.25 also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

MattDeutch-WWVB.jpg

N5AP, N5OCO, KA0KA and 3 others like this.
  2. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Should be interesting. After weeks of trying on my dipole I finally heard their restored 25 MHz signal. They nicely QSLed it too (WWVH and CHU also send reception confirmations).

WD8ED and WB9VPG like this.
  3. WB9VPG

It was a very interesting show, especially the 25 MHz story. Very cool!

4. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good. I visited WWV/WWVB in May 2012 on my way West through Colorado. Drove 120 mi. out of my way just to do it :). I didn't get to go inside because the stations no longer offer tours but I did get permission to snap a few outside pictures for my own collection. All in all a neat experience :).

WB9VPG likes this.
  5. KZ5R

KZ5R Subscriber QRZ Page

Proud to say we supplied the balun for the new 25MHz antenna.

K3SX, N2EY, K7LZR and 2 others like this.
  6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, is text available ? I can read in a minute what takes an hour of blah blah blah. Thanks

N8WN, KD2RON, AC3DB and 3 others like this.
  7. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Being here in Fort Collins, CO 80524 I use WWV mainly to align my oscillators on 25MHz as they are in very close and it works great. I hope to visit the site this year, I have collected a lot of vintage black and white photos of the setup around 1960! I have them in the shack!

W0SNG and WB9VPG like this.
  8. AC3DB

AC3DB Ham Member QRZ Page

Is WWV Colorado in the united states? Their web page uses meters and kilometers.

WA0WNV and WB9VPG like this.
  9. N8FM

N8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why no, it's spending the summer in Canada. ;)

N8VIL, VE7JBX, N2EY and 3 others like this.
  10. NE5EN

NE5EN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, WWV and WWVB are in Colorado, just a little north of Fort Collins. The measurement and dissemination of standard time/frequency is a universally scientific endeavor, thus the use of the metric system, exclusively.

N2EY and AC7DD like this.
  11. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes it is.

And it uses the worldwide standard, the metric system, since the USA is about the last bastion of the imperial measurement system.

Which is utterly sad. Took about a week to learn the metric system and its loads easier for... Well anything. Unless you have to covert from imperial to metric first.

But, if I'm doing a panel or chassis layout on a new project, it's metric from day one.

--Shane

WB9VPG likes this.
  12. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Exclusively? Are they measuring time in deca-days, centi-days, mili-days, nano-days, micro-days, nano-days, or femto-days? Or are they using non-metric hours, minutes, seconds? :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I wish we used all metric.

AC3DB and WB9VPG like this.
  13. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Nevermind this metric nonsense, I am going to get on 65.6168 feet and see what DX I can dig up.

AC3DB, N0TZU, K1FBI and 2 others like this.
  14. WB9VPG

No. It's a talk radio show. I'm sure there are other outlets for the information in text besides mine.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  15. WB9VPG

Yes. All government entities must use metric measurements, since the USA adopted it officially in 1866. Now as for common practice.... that's a different story.