ad: CQMM-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 69 - Hamvention 'Rapp' Up with Michael Kalter, W8CI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time, Michael Kalter, W8CI, the official spokesperson of the Dayton Hamvention, will return to give us a Rapp Up.... I mean wrap-up... of this year's Hamvention and some ideas for improvements. If you have a question or comment about ways to make Hamvention better next year, here is your chance to call in!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button! If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand 24/7/365.25 also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

Jill from Tower.jpg Hamvention_2017_Aerial.jpg

Flat Hammy.jpg

K2HAT and WD9GCO like this.
  2. KC8PZ

KC8PZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea !!!!-(KC8PZ)

WB9VPG likes this.
  3. WA3CAS

WA3CAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Could not find episode 69 on hamtalklive.com

4. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Because it did not happen till 9PM today Eastern time. NOW> ;)

upload_2017-6-15_21-28-5.png

WB9VPG likes this.
  5. K2HAT

29,296 just announced as the Dayton Hamvention 2017 attendance on Ham Talk Live by W8CI
    73 K2HAT

WB9VPG and KD8ZMN like this.
  6. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

How does that compare with the average attendance at the Hara?

7. K2HAT

2013: 24,542
    2014: 24,873
    2015: 25,621
    2016: 25,364

As a reminder, that is by Tickets Sold. I had bought a ticket, for a Friend who was unable to go. I did turn the ticket in to try and win a door prize. No prize for me, but I had a nice time.

73 K2HAT

upload_2017-6-16_9-43-23.png

KD8ZMN and WB9VPG like this.
  8. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

So Xenia topped The Hara by roughly 4,000 :eek:. All those naysayers when Xenia was announced were wrong. I recall reading many with "wait and see" attitudes. I guess they couldn't wait and just had to see.

Congratulations to DARA for a successful 1st year at Xenia.

N0IRS likes this.
  9. NI4Y

NI4Y Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What you must keep in mind is that many fewer bone yard vendors were accommodated and based on the mud situation many will not be back next year. Many many people in the bone yard had to be extracted using recovery vehicles. I dare say many will not want to go thru that again. While DARA will try some fix for this many will have a wait and see attitude. As far as they numbers from my observations I would say ticket sales may have been higher, but attendances and size would only dictate a 2 day hamfest. They have just shrunk the flea market by 20%. Next year will be the test how many come back after this years hams in the mud flea market. I will say that they inside spaces were nicer, but hot, and the food was a 100% improvement over HARA.

My concern is what will attendance look like next year and the next how many return the next year after the decline. IMHO the Jury is out until 2019. If the numbers stay steady or grow, we shall see. Many I spoke to say they are going to attend HAMCOM in TX in 2018 or HAMCATION instead.

DARA seemed to have no idea which fee market spaces were paid and which were not paid. Many appeared to go unsold. Flea Market spaces need to be Cash on the Barrel Head ie PAY online period.

10. W2IHY

W2IHY Ham Member QRZ Page

The DARA Hamvention people should, in an organized manner, get feedback from the Vendors. I believe they will get some very meaningful feedback.

11. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They certainly do!