ad: portazero-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 49 - Operating from the ISS and Explore/Create with Richard Garriott, W5KWQ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jan 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday at 9 pm Eastern time, tune into Ham Talk Live! to hear Richard Garriott de Cayeux, W5KWQ talk about operating ham radio from the International Space Station and his new book, Explore/Create! We will take your calls, and even take a trip down memory lane with some discussion about his father, Owen Garriott, W5LFL, the first person to operate ham radio from space.

Listen to the show LIVE by going to HamTalkLive.com. Once the show appears LIVE, just click play.

CALL into the show to talk to Richard by phone LIVE during the show at 812-NET-HAM-1, or by Skype at HamTalkLive. Or, tweet to us @hamtalklive.

Richard.jpg Richard Book.jpg Richard ISS.jpg

K6LCS, K3SX, K0PIR and 1 other person like this.
  2. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

thank to the info..... Owen Garriott, W5LFL, the first person to operate ham radio from space ..... the SPACE HAM PIONEER !

and i see the video when Richard Garriott the son W5KWQ when on ISS space station contact his father on earth... great !

73 de IW2BSF Rudy

WB9VPG likes this.
  3. VA3ECO

VA3ECO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked Richard in 2008 when he was NA1SS in the Space Station. I am incredibly grateful for him to take the time for the many contacts he made. I remember seeing him in a lawn chair in Kazakhstan on CNN a day later. That's traveling! Thanks Richard!!
    -Chris VA3ECO

WB9VPG likes this.
  4. WH6FAO

WH6FAO Ham Member QRZ Page

wonder if there's a ham up there now

5. KM4OP

KM4OP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sure there is astronauts are required to have a ham ticket last time I heard.

WB9VPG likes this.
  6. WH6FAO

next long pass by my area I guess I'll try with my tape measure yagi.

WB9VPG likes this.
  7. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K2JBC

K2JBC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently followed @rs0iss on Twitter. They Tweet whenever an Astronaut/Cosmonaut is on the air.

Lately I have been getting a lot of 'Packet' notifications... could be promising for other modes.

I cannot get on packet from the back yard. The ISS can use 'phone' and 'SSTV', too.

Probably a little tricky to scan the sky, phase the Yagi, run split mode and type.

Looking forward to some satellite work this spring/summer on 'phone' mode.

John K2JBC

WB9VPG likes this.
  9. WH6FAO

K2JBC likes this.
  10. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sad day indeed. I was in high school, and they turned the broadcast radio on over the PA system. They said that the chances of it happening were 1 in 50 at the time. Not great odds.

I'm glad Richard was able to go and pioneer SSTV from space, and hopefully AMSAT can raise the rest of the money to replace the radio up there so we can all get back to reliable communications on 2m. If you want to donate, go to AMSAT.org, and click on the donate to ISS button.

K2JBC likes this.
  11. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll never forget it. Christa McAuliffe – a teacher, was a member of the crew of Space Shuttle Challenger who died on the mission and there were children from her school in the audience, pointing at the explosion in real time on TV. They didn't understand what they were seeing. Her parents were also in the viewing stands along with other teachers from her school. It's all on Youtube under "Shuttle Challenger Disaster" and on February 1, 2003, we experienced the "Shuttle Columbia Disaster" which also involved a tragic loss of life. Today, we tend to think of these missions as "routine" but these Astronauts (all of them) are actually heroic pioneers, risking their lives for the advancement of science.

R.I.P.

Virgil Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee were in the Apollo 1 capsule for plugs-out test on January 27, 1967 when a short circuit ignited flammable materials in the pressurized pure-oxygen atmosphere. The astronauts died of carbon monoxide poisoning before ground crews could reach them.

On January 28, 1986, the Space Shuttle Challenger broke apart 73 seconds after liftoff on mission STS-51-L due to a defect in one of the solid rocket boosters. All seven crew members—Francis "Dick" Scobee, Michael J. Smith, Ronald McNair, Gregory Jarvis, Judith Resnik, Ellison Onizuka, and Christa McAuliffe—died. Scobee, McNair, Resnik and Onizuka had flown before. McAuliffe was participating via the Teacher in Space Project.

On February 1, 2003, the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated on re-entry at the end of mission STS-107 due to damage during ascent. The crew was Rick Husband, William C. McCool, David M. Brown, Kalpana Chawla, Michael P. Anderson, Laurel Clark and Ilan Ramon. Husband, Chawla and Anderson were veterans. Ramon was a pilot in the Israeli Air Force.

K2JBC and WB9VPG like this.