ad: AbAuRe-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 48 - Sunspots and Propagation with Carl Luetzelschwab, K9LA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jan 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On the next episode of Ham Talk Live!, Carl Luetzelschwab, K9LA, will be here to take your questions about sunspot cycles and how they affect radio propagation. Tune in Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time by going to HamTalkLive.com. Once the show goes live, just hit play!

And CALL in live with your questions at 812-NET-HAM-1 or by Skype at Ham Talk Live. Or, tweet your questions anytime to @HamTalkLive.

If you miss the live show, you can listen on demand at HamTalkLive.com or on nearly all podcast services.

k9la.jpg
    sunspots.jpg

N4GST, DC4LO, K3SX and 1 other person like this.
  2. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Carl will reference a couple of visuals during the show tonight. Here they are!
    K9LA HamTalkLive Figure 1.png K9LA HamTalkLive Figure 2.png

CE3DNP and WD9GCO like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Did some analysis---

Note that when you smooth SN's, you severely attenuate the higher frequency components in a power spectrum....(from my analysis) the present cycle has broken into three Fourier components that produce a modulated waveform of SN. The immediate point of interest on that is a RISE in SFI to the 100-120 level over the next three weeks with sustained SFI above 90 for much of the next two months.

The three-component waveform also produced the dramatic kill in the waveform --SFI around 70 to 75--which we saw over the last 5 weeks.

IF the waveform holds up as predicted, fair DX conditions will prevail for a short while, including DX Test in Feb, as opposed to ABYSMAL conditions the last few weeks.

We are not at solar min, but the recent null in the SN waveform gave us a taste if how crappy it will be. Don't sell your rig just yet.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    WB9VPG likes this.
  4. VA7LTX

VA7LTX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a MUST LISTEN !

Thank You Carl for presenting this complex topic in a easy to understand and grasp 101 podcast.

With Much Appreciation,
    Lawrence (VA7LTX)

WB9VPG likes this.
  5. N5TZH

N5TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

does anyone remember the 80,s 10 meters open 24/7

6. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's when I began my Ham adventures ('85), transitioning out of 11 meters. It was a very good time to get in - I spoke all over the globe. Even chatted with the Famous J1Y back then before he passed.
    Good 'ole days..

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have several tapes of running Europeans on 10m from 1990. Typical to work 200 in little more than an hour. Crowded band, splatter, wall to wall signals.

Hard to believe now....ended up with about 310 countries worked.

Glad I recorded it!

8. W9DEY

W9DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

YES! That's when I got back into amateur radio from a long hiatus and then talked to world from a Radio Shack 25 watt 10 meter mobile rig in my basement with a dipole in the garage!!

9. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it was SO open, I got bored working so-called DX because it was so common and no question you could work it.