ad: Schulman-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 247 - Encouraging News from Huntsville

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Feb 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mark Brown, N4BCD, the chairman of the Huntsville Hamfest, will be on HTL! to talk about the exciting news the Huntsville Hamfest board just received about the possibilities of hosting the event in person this year. He will be on the show to answer your questions about the changes that are being planned.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm EST (Friday 0200Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, SoundCloud, Stitcher, Spreaker, TuneIn, Vurbl, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

A replay is also broadcast on WTWW 5085 AM shortwave near Nashville, TN on Saturday nights at approximately 3:30 pm Eastern.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 859-982-7373 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

Hamfest-HH copy.jpg IMG_7832.JPG

W2NPR, KN4OK, N4FZ and 10 others like this.
  2. WB8SCT

WB8SCT QRZ Lifetime Member #205 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

All eyes are now on you Mark. Looking forward to going to Huntsville in August!
    Jack

N4BCD, N4FZ, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  3. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking forward to Huntsville.
    Birmingham will be outdoor only.
    Montgomery and Freeze Fest were indoor/outdoor. Attendance was down.
    https://flic.kr/p/2kp3tmr

4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Still looking to play games with C-19, for the sake of a hobby I see.

And WORSE yet! Trying to legitimize it?!?

Have at it, kids!​

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    K7LZR and N1RBD like this.
  5. AK4QR

AK4QR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be there.

6. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would walk an outdoor boneyard, but at this point not ready to risk indoor exposure. Most indoor facilities for events like this don't have the best of HVAC systems.

K8NY likes this.
  7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh
    Healthy people aren't dying. If you're not healthy and under 60 don't go.

KC5AOI, KE4DIS, NF6E and 5 others like this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you meant over 60, not under. :p Otherwise, only me and 5 others could attend.

I'll be there!

AB0RE and W4IOA like this.
  9. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanna go!

W4IOA likes this.
  10. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So you can just stay home!
    By August Amazon and Wal-Mart will have everyone a shot who wants one.
    Right?

My Body My Choice!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2021
    KC5AOI, KE4DIS, KC0KEK and 6 others like this.
  11. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

You're correct, chalk up another mistake in the column for me. :confused: If only I was a AE......

W1RET likes this.
  12. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Read it slower... if you're not healthy and under 60... if you're not healthy and not under 60 then don't go.

W4IOA likes this.
  13. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll mark you down for an additional one. I was an AT since my crayon was a bit sharper.

W4IOA likes this.
  14. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope the show goes on.

I love the nay-sayers out there. They don't understand that WalMart, BestBuy and Target all across California (where I am right now) are ALL OPEN, INDOORS, TO THE PUBLIC, WITH NO RESTRICTIONS OTHER THAN MASKS MUST BE WORN...

What the HECK is the difference? More people? So it's no longer social distance, or masks now? It's the amount of people? What's next? People wearing shorts and t-shirts cannot shop?

If you are fearful of such an event, for any reason, it's (still) a FREE COUNTRY... DON'T GO! WOW, how many IQ points are we lacking here?

No one is forcing you to buy or eat bread if you don't want it, or have celiac disease... jeez man...

W2NPR, K9GCP, KN1VES and 8 others like this.
  15. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

The Von Braun Civic Center (https://www.vonbrauncenter.com) is nothing short of stellar (to use space terms). Yes, they have cold A/C and climate controlled walkways to local hotel(s). I've never been there when it was less than completely comfortable, and thank goodness, as outside it's usually in the upper 90's(F).

By far, for reasons too numerous to mention, this is one of the best if not the best ham fest year after year after year in the southeast. The dealers are ready to sell, and you get great pricing.

If you miss it, you're only depriving yourself. It's a SEVEN hour trip for me, but if I could, I'd go every year. Hopefully, the vaccinations will work and COVID19 will be a distant memory by August.

Don't forget to look at the dozens of interesting forums and programs and hospitality suites and vendor lists and photos and the US Space and Rocket Center and... and... and....
    https://hamfest.org
    https://rocketcenter.com

I dunno how many years they've been doing it, but I've been going since 1987. Yah, I'm hooked.

KE4DIS, W7IVK and KK9W like this.