ad: Sussex-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 234 - New Radio Performance with Rob Sherwood, NC0B

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Oct 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rob Sherwood, NC0B from Sherwood Engineering returns to Ham Talk Live! Thursday night to talk about the performance of several radios since his last visit on this show and will take your questions live about his analysis.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm EDT (Friday 0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube. A replay is also broadcast on WTWW 5085 AM on Saturday nights at approximately 3:30 pm Eastern.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 859-982-7373 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

nc0b.jpg

N0HN, N5AL, K0UO and 8 others like this.
  2. W7GEM

W7GEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have there been further tests of the Flax 6700?

KG7HVR likes this.
  3. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rob gives a great talk

4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard the audio is grainy.

KE0RXF, KR3DX, N5AL and 2 others like this.
  5. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I've heard the same thing...grainy but very good for your heart health. :D

KE0RXF, KR3DX, N5AL and 1 other person like this.
  6. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sow what? :rolleyes:
    You guys are planting the seeds of discontent. :D

AC0OB, KE0RXF and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. AJ6KZ

Indeed. That was a fun listen.

K4FMH likes this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to take this with a grain of salt, but then I'm supposed to avoid grains of salt! ;):cool:

9. W2IHY

W2IHY Ham Member QRZ Page

Who did you her this from. I know a couple of people who have the 6700 that are very critical about receive and transmit audio and they like it over other more recent radios they brought and returned because they were not happy with receive audio and or transmit audio.

10. AJ6KZ

It was a joke! Check out the spelling of the radio name in the original post.

11. W9MDT

W9MDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I'm not mistaken, Rob's father Hollace was my high school physics teacher, and his mother was my Jr. High science teacher.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  12. K0PG

K0PG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wokka wokka.

13. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

What does it matter what someone else thinks or tests? The proof is in using it on the air not a lab. FAKE NEWS

14. AJ6KZ

Wow. I am surprised that in a hobby that is technical and based on science one can call a rigorous test performed by a respected figure fake news. Of course it matters what you can do with it in the field, but that does not mean bench marking is worthless, and it doesn't mean someone is going to make a decision based solely on a single spec.

15. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive heard enough muddy FTDX101 radios. But he praises that fake sdr radio. Its not any better sounding than a $600 ft891. But people worship his reports. They are lab based not real world. Most of radio is a emotional experience between the operator and the radio. I can sit here and switch between 10 different radios and most cant tell the difference. I should probably not share anything, we have plenty of you tube radio gods posting on qrz to inform us better