ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 226 - New Kits for CW

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Sep 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only that but a licensed radiotelegraph operator is expected to be proficient in the operation and maintenance of all manner of non-voice radio communications systems. That would be true today as it would have been decades ago. Even though getting such a license would require passing a Morse code test a large portion of time from such a licensed operator could be spent at a keyboard. It may be a typewriter keyboard to transcribe what they hear by Morse code, it may be a computer keyboard to operate a RTTY station, either way their proficiency with QWERTY keys would be as important as a CW key.

If one were to search the internet for some early wired telegraph systems you'll find photos and illustrations of telegraph keyboards that looked much like a keyboard on a piano, though not with nearly as many keys. The sending of text worked a lot like a Centronics parallel port, using something like 6 wires to send a binary character down the wires to a ticker tape at the other end. Likely the same style of ticker tape that was used to punch out or print out dots and dashes with Morse systems.

I read that these multiple wire systems, using keyboards to send text, were later improved to allow for the use of only two wires. What I could not find was how that was accomplished. Perhaps a device that converted keystrokes to Morse code? That would make sense as that allows compatibility with existing equipment and training for the use of competitor's Morse code systems.

Everything old is new again.

2. WH6CLZ

WH6CLZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The mask is a magnet! It works for him!

3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

4. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately I do wear the mask when I'm around people indoors. I don't spend much time around people indoors other than work.

JF1IRQ likes this.
  6. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope you are staying healthy and safe during these unusual times.

Stay safe!

JF1IRQ

WB9VPG and W4IOA like this.
  7. N6IQ

N6IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you decide to manufacture the mask, put me on your buyer list. 73 de Doc

8. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

di dah dit, di dah dit

9. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

JUST GET ONE OF THOSE BUMPER STICKERS
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE TOO CLOSE!!

WB9VPG likes this.
  10. NJ3T

NJ3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I agree but I have my mask, gloves, and goggles on! It's ok maybe ?

11. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Pants? Are you wearing pants?

12. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. WB9VPG

14. WB9VPG

15. WB9VPG

JF1IRQ likes this.